What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotted VFT\'s

Hello all,
I just repotted my two common vft's.
they simply would not fit in there dinky 3 inche potts they came in. (I repotted them in 4 1/2 inche pots)
I know that every one has been talking about placing thier vft in dormacy but mine are still growing fast and vigorous.
I plan on putting them in dormacy when they are not growing quite as fast.
Is this ok?
does it matter what time of year they go dormant as long as you give them a three month resting period?

Also I potted them in 55% peat moss 15% horticultural grade sand 15% fine chopped bark 20% perlite is this an ok mixture to use with them?

The potting media is were I think I may have done something stupid as I didn't really confirm its contents with you all but I did do some research and came up with those contents.

Hey Porsche

I will not go into the dormancy issue. feel free to email me about that if you like.

I really do not see a problem with the mix you have. I would just make sure that everything that you have put in there doesn't affect the ph level in the soil. It needs to be very acidic. FYI

The only thing that I haven't heard of in the mix is the bark...What kind of bark are you using?

The only thing that I will say about dormancy is ....i would stick with the time of year that it needs to be in (Winter). Otherwise you will miss out on the perfect growing conditions of the Spring/Summer.

I think that if your growing purely under lights and you run a summer time photo period you can get away with having dormancy at a different time of the year. But this would only be acceptable if your plants grew purely by artificial light, and you maintained summertime photoperiods.
Tony

The bark I used is for orchids and I am growing them strickly under flouresent lighing.

Just make sure the bark hasn't been treated with anything that could hurt your plant.

Yes I made sure of that on th pachage it said untreated so that should be ok

Back