What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remembering the Dream of Armistice Day

Nearly 85 years ago, at the end of WW I (the war to end all wars) Congress declared that November 11th should thereafter be known as ‘Armistice Day’

WHEREAS the 11th of November 1918, marked the cessation of the most destructive, sanguinary, and far reaching war in human annals and the resumption by the people of the United States of peaceful relations with other nations, which we hope may never again be severed, and
WHEREAS it is fitting that the recurring anniversary of this date should be commemorated with thanksgiving and prayer and exercises designed to perpetuate peace through good will and mutual understanding between nations; and
WHEREAS the legislatures of twenty-seven of our States have already declared November 11 to be a legal holiday: Therefore be it Resolved by the Senate (the House of Representatives concurring), That the President of the United States is requested to issue a proclamation calling upon the officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on November 11 and inviting the people of the United States to observe the day in schools and churches, or other suitable places, with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples.

The dream, summed up so eloquently in Congressional rhetoric, is that peace should be a national priority. Furthermore, that the nation should pause to remember that war is horrific…and should only occur as a move of last resort. That sentiment is still relevant today.

This nation, which has the mightiest military in all of global history, has a dreadful record when it comes to remembering not only the price of military conflict but the participants as well. It takes more than the laying of a wreath to adequately memorialize the efforts of past and present wars. It takes more than a resolution send billions of dollars overseas the support and protect American troop. We must, as a people, learn the true cost of war…not in dollars, but in lives.

So, after you call or visit relatives that are veterans (even the peacetime veterans) call or write a member of your Congressional delegation and let them know you expect them to support our troops. Ask them what they are doing about the following problems:

·It has been over a decade since Gulf War I and thousands of vets still suffer from illness and ailments (Gulf War Syndrome). Why are they struggling to get medical assistance and benefits from exposure to Iraqi toxins and American depleted uranium?

·It has been 25 years since the Vietnam War and thousands of those veterans still suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Thousands more are homeless…nearly 30% of all homeless are veterans. Why is homelessness not a national priority?

·Nearly 60 years have passed since WWII and thousands of those veterans still struggle to obtain benefits, pensions, and healthcare.

It is the responsibility of those who benefit from sacrifice, to ensure that those who were put in harms way by their country are not forgotten, not only the dead, but the maimed as well. And finally, to ensure that the next generation of veterans are not treated as shamefully as those who came before them.

And to all those veterans out there past, present and future....Thanks!

Peace,

Damon
I

One thing my Father taught me was never to discuss politics with friends ;-)
Very often, posts of this sort engender strong contrary opinions: politics and religion are always sensitive areas to explore in public forum.

So, keeping this in mind, consider this: Peace flourishes when people maintain a mutual respect for each others differences. Peace is not an automatic condition: it must be sought after and cultivated with the employment of some very hefty tools, and it involves being tolerant and forgiving of differing viewpoints. When "politeness" fails, then dischord has free reign.

Whatever your personal stance regarding the politics of the U.S.A., I hope (and insist) that you will demonstrate and employ these tools in your responses, and maintain Peace here at Terra Forums.

There are no easy answers....especially for us "little guys". War and PEace are issues of political ideology, not necessairly those of the "man on the street". Joe Everyman always is the same, no matter where he resides. He bleeds when he is cut. He loves his woman and his children, and wants the best for them. He is scared of dying and the pain associated with it. His belly aches when he has no food. He wants to do the right thing, and rarely wants to hurt anyone. He also believes what his Government and God tells him is right and wrong, and therein lies the rub of it. As men, we are always more alike than different, EXCEPT where it comes to these Ideologies.

My personal opinion is all the Gods and Flags put in one vast pile cannot outweigh the misery of a single child weeping at the loss of their Mom and Dad. I detest the flag waving mentality that takes delight in our political actions in the Middle East. I do not feel this is something to be proud of, even if it is a political surgical necessity, and just like everyone else, I cannot know what is "true" regarding this necessity only what the media spoon feeds me, and the media has its own ends to serve.

Oh, there are no easy answers. I demonstrated during the Viet Nam war era like so many others of my generation. It seemed an easy conclusion at 18 that we should all just love each other, kick back and relax. Then I learned that others were not so laid back: cooking up biological weapons to try and kill the Western Devil Uncle Sammy, and MY son in the process! Now at 52 I am less sure that "giving peace a chance" will work. If the Vets of WWII felt that all war was wrong, where would the world be now? Just as in dealing with bullys in the schoolyard, there is a time to stand your ground and say "Enough" and be prepared to bleed to prove the issue.

No easy answers! The little guy can't know the big picture. We come therefore to trust our leaders, and in the end as a Nation, we are seen by the rest of the world only as good or bad as they are.

For those who are injured and suffer the inevitable damage war brings, I can only say that it is up to us to pay and pray for their healing, and this needs be a priority. If we can spend millions of dollars a day to destroy, then we can likewise spend millions of dollars a day to heal: and in no case is this more needed than in caring for those Vetrans who followed their country's dictates.

I want peace too, and with all my heart. At the same time, I grant that there is a time to say "Enough of this".

Peace to you too Damon!

Back