What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rehabbing an old Greenhouse

• Thread starter Bonnie
  • Start date
So I finally got around to moving my third greenhouse to behind the garage and need to work on fixing it up. I plan on using it as a mist house for propagation and also to keep more delicate species so will be installing several misters in the ceiling. For now I need to order new panels for the sides, going to try and fit 6mm polycarbonate in the tracks, and need to make a floor. I'll post updates on here as I go along, ordering the new panels and vent tomorrow.

Yesterday

Had a bit of a setback, that old wooden garage door finally started falling apart from all the California rain so had to rip it out to even get easy access to the greenhouse. Replaced a bunch of rotten wood and my roommates helped me install the new door, now on to panel replacement. The panels slide in from the top which meant I had to remove the roof, still busy pulling out panels and waiting for the shorter ones to get here later today. Trying to keep myself motivated right now, this is feeling like a lot more than I intended to take on.
Removing the old rotten beams with a skillsaw and crowbar

New wood installed

Door and lower track in

Upper track and springs installed

Roof removed and taking out the side panels

Looking good. It sucks when something you have to fix interferes with something you want to fix.

I ordered 2x4 foot panels to go in the 2 foot wide tracks and they kept slipping out and not fitting, thought I had measured wrong until I went and measured the panels...only 23 and 3/4 inches, I really needed that extra quarter inch :( The company said I could pay $60 to return the remaining ones for a refund until I sent pics of their wrong size panels, got the refund and for $30 more bought a whole new greenhouse. Here is the update so far, old greenhouse torn down, new greenhouse put up, new vent rigged into the front, swamp cooler installed in the back, benches built and tops cut to fit. Will get the floor in over the weekend and work on the plumbing a bit more but here are the pics of where it is now. Also included a pic of my new 8' stainless steel potting/workbench in the garage, that thing has been a lifesaver this week :)

Last edited:
Looks to be coming along nicely. Those are some large bales of moss you've got there. You'll need those very soon it seems.

The moss is actually for all the orchids in the other greenhouse, this will be mostly propagation and more delicate species :)

A bit of work done on the electric. Made a plywood shelf and painted it white to hold and shield all the thermostats, plus the weatherproof electric box can sit on top. Quite happy with how well it turned out, the brackets are fit to hold it to the aluminum tracks using t bolts. Plus two trays of plants from Thailand waiting for me to mount and pot when I get home from vacation, I really need more spare time.

A sweet-looking setup for sure. 'Sorry to hear that the original greenhouse was in the end too much work to be worth redoing but it is hard to deny the joy of newness.

Back