What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reflective backing

Currently I use plain old tin foil for the backing on my terrariums (lame, I know) and I'm looking to upgrade to something much better.

What is the very best kind of reflective backing you can get? I think I heard it was mylar once. Also, where can you buy it? Is it expensive? Is it worth it? I need as much info as possible. Thanks!

Well I am almost positive its mylar, its basically a flexible mirror. I have heard it more expensive than tinfoil

You can buy mylar at most hydroponic shops. It comes in a role. I think I paied 25$Can. for a role 3 feet tall and I cant remember how long though.
Stephen

What is a hydroponic shop?
smile_n_32.gif

Were u buy stuff for plants that u grow in water.. or someting =).
For hydroponia or someting like that, hope i help
smile.gif

The cheap way to get some mylar is to pick up one of those emergency heat blankets sold in sporting goods stores. They are small enough to fit in a shirt pocket (all folded up in the wrapper), and usually cost a couple of bucks. One blanket is enough material for several terrariums, and is extremely reflective.

Ah, that's a really good idea Tom! Do you think Big 5 would carry those?

But if you puncture those emergency blankets in any way, its lets out the special gas that make them very reflective of heat so if you do that, dont expect it to keep you warm. Hydroponics is when you grow plants in this very absorbent and airy material, usually made in marble like things so that you dont really have to worry about soil and things like that and somthing else which I can't remember.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Aug. 16 2005,1:59)]Ah, that's a really good idea Tom! Do you think Big 5 would carry those?
I'm pretty sure that Big 5 will have them. The one I used had been sitting in my daypack for years--don't remember where I picked it up originally. REI, if you have one near you, would carry them as well. You might also check in the sporting goods section at Walmart.

A hydroponic shop is just what it says. They sell equipment used to grow plants usually indoors hydroponically. Hydroponics is a way to grow plants in an inert medium and water/nutrients. eg. clay pellets, vermiculite, sand,ect. One has to provide all of the essentials for optimum growth. Nutrients and minerals, light, temp, and humidity. This allows total control of what you want to feed your plants and how much. This allows you to grow plants fast, large, most fruit,better tasting fruit,more foliage ect. Be aware most of these shops are directed at a specific type of grower and that is an illegal one (cannabis).
Stephen

Back