What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Spider Mites

Peanut

I like this
A few days ago, I noticed a small web on one of my flytraps. At first I thought it was a spider's web but today it coated one whole leaf and there are billions of little red mites crawling all over it.

How can I get rid of them? They are eating all my other plants too. I tried to manually get rid of them but they just keep coming!
???

Try to spray the plant with a mixture of 75% rubbing alcohol and 25% RO water. Repeat after 5 days or so for a few weeks.

I think I've also heard that you can just dunk the flytrap underwater for like a day or so and that will drown them. I'd also recommend Sevin for mites.

Sevin will just kill any natural predators that might have helped get the spider mites under control. Where are your plants (inside, outside, in water tray, etc.)? In my experience, spider mites have never been a problem outdoors. But with enough Sevin sprayed there, the mites can run amock outdoors too.

If the plant's outside in a water tray, take the pot out of the water for a few days and keep it in a biologically active spot, like an unsprayed flower bed or an area over-run by weeds. You'll need to water it there, but the spider mites should be gone within a few days. It works great here in the humid northeast. Your mileage may vary.

I know that drowning aphids work well. Never had spider mites, though. Personally, I would start with that which is simple (drowning) and if that doesn't work, then apply pesticides. It also depends if you have one small pot or a major infestation.

From the above link:

Chemicals

Spider mites frequently become a problem after the application of insecticides. Such outbreaks are commonly a result of the insecticide killing off the natural enemies of the mites, but also occur when certain insecticides stimulate mite reproduction. For example, spider mites exposed to carbaryl (Sevin) in the laboratory have been shown to reproduce faster than untreated populations. Carbaryl, some organophosphates, and some pyrethroids apparently also favor spider mites by increasing the level of nitrogen in leaves. Insecticides applied during hot weather usually appear to have the greatest effect on mites, causing dramatic outbreaks within a few days.

Back