What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Sphagnum moss?

Are there any nurseries/people that sell red sphagnum in the US? It's quite common in Europe and I've seen a few people sell it in the US but now they dont...

any idea were to get it in europe?
I only found 1 source but it's very expensive

I've seen it on ebay.uk a few times but yeh... it's really expensive!

Avoiding old disputes.. Rescue it and spread it around, or let it get mowed? ???

Last edited:
Talk to Phil at Meadowview Biological Research Station, support CP conservation. That's all I know.

I bought a 5 kilo bale of Chilean Sphagnum off ebay and when I wet it about 1/3 of it is red but so far only the green has come back to life out of it.

I did get a batch of regular old green stuff off ebay, and had a small amount, maybe 10%, turn red under very bright light. Might be worth a shot.

Maybe next season I can help with this if my stamina continues to improve. I have access to a privately owned bog of over 200 acres that has some 6 forms of sphagnum. I am conservation mindful but my experience is that a bushel of harvested moss is regrown in about 2 weeks during the active growing season and has no environmental impact at all as long as you avoid the harvesting of companion species. I have no idea of the market value of a gallon ziplock bag, but if anyone is interested you can PM me with what it would be worth to you. Keep in mind the stuff weighs quite a bit/ I notice that dried moss may revert to green even if originally red and even fresh moss may do so over time. I can't make any promises since the bog was sold about 6 years ago from the original paper company that owned it. I assume the owners meant to develop the land. but I think it's still there. Bear in mind that sphagnum is in no way endangered and I have permission to harvest this moss. It's an hour drive and a hard go to bring a ushel of moss out of there even in my younger days. You literally have to climb down a mountain, walk over rotting logs to get in and out, there are deer flies and you have to haul the mass up the mountain through some pretty dense vegetation in 100 percent humidity. WHEW!! I'm sweating just remembering the fun! The red form of moss is very compact and was my preferred growing medium for most cp needing moss in the potting medium. Anyways, please let me know your needs and I'll try to meet them along about June of next year if possible.

It does grow back fast. The red sphag is very hard to grow and doesn't seem to turn very red in cultivation for me.
I have only tried the small red sphag.
Sphag grows all over the place here, not only in bogs.
I know of one place that gets trampled by kids all summer.

Maybe next season I can help with this if my stamina continues to improve. I have access to a privately owned bog of over 200 acres that has some 6 forms of sphagnum. I am conservation mindful but my experience is that a bushel of harvested moss is regrown in about 2 weeks during the active growing season and has no environmental impact at all as long as you avoid the harvesting of companion species. I have no idea of the market value of a gallon ziplock bag, but if anyone is interested you can PM me with what it would be worth to you. Keep in mind the stuff weighs quite a bit/ I notice that dried moss may revert to green even if originally red and even fresh moss may do so over time. I can't make any promises since the bog was sold about 6 years ago from the original paper company that owned it. I assume the owners meant to develop the land. but I think it's still there. Bear in mind that sphagnum is in no way endangered and I have permission to harvest this moss. It's an hour drive and a hard go to bring a ushel of moss out of there even in my younger days. You literally have to climb down a mountain, walk over rotting logs to get in and out, there are deer flies and you have to haul the mass up the mountain through some pretty dense vegetation in 100 percent humidity. WHEW!! I'm sweating just remembering the fun! The red form of moss is very compact and was my preferred growing medium for most cp needing moss in the potting medium. Anyways, please let me know your needs and I'll try to meet them along about June of next year if possible.

Back