What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Leopard vs Fly

Guess Who Won

Also have a question

It's not a big deal, both plants are healthy & doing good
But does anyone have any idea why the two plants look so different???

Plant #1 has Long Thin Tendrils & flat leaves {for lack of a better term}
&
Plant #2 is a lot more compact with Short Thick Tendrils & the leaves are folded kind of like a taco shell

You can see side by side pics at~
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/575496058WJCjdk

Both are Red Leps {Vent X Max}
Got them from the same vendor at the same time & they were both approx. the same size when I got them
&
Both are potted in the same soil mix & are growing within a few feet of each other so they're growing conditions are also the same

Like I said, it's no big deal
Just Curious

They probably look so different because there probably seed grown and not from TC. When you get seed grown, you get variability.

Thanx

Pretty much what I was thinking

But dam, other than the pitchers they don't look anything alike
Even the growth rate is way different

Nice pics.

Plant #1 looks more like the actual 'Red Leopard' cultivar to me. #2 looks like it's of the same grex but not actually the cultivar.

The plant on the left is a TC Maxima x TM. You can tell from the leafshape.

nate - AFIK, all of the maxima x xTM released by EP were seedgrown, and its the same size as my maxima x TM plant, and probably the other i had which i traded off to Yann awhile ago, he will have to chime in, but i agree its a maxima x xTM.

I beleive BE had these to. Or am i wrong?

nate, BE doesnt have maxima x xTM from what i can see, dethcheez, you can expect a fair amount of variability between seedgrown originals :)

and probably the other i had which i traded off to Yann awhile ago, he will have to chime in, but i agree its a maxima x xTM.

FWIW, yes it does indeed look very similar to the maxima xX TM you sent me Kris. Unfortunately I couldn't provide it the proper growing conditions and it's was very sluggish for me. Each new pitcher was smaller than the last. It's now in Chris's care (droseraguy).

Back