What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red lava-rock.

• Thread starter Exo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    soil

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
I know that some people use lava rock in their nep mixes, but what color do you use? I can only get the red version around here and was wondering if it is harmful considering that many rocks have a red coloration due to high iron content. I have used it in my Pasian truncata's soil for two years and the plant seems pretty healthy, but I figured that it would be good idea to see what other people's experiences have been.

Thanks.

I use the red color, but I have so little of the rocks in my mix I'm not sure if it would matter.

I use the red color, but I have so little of the rocks in my mix I'm not sure if it would matter.

Yeah I think its like 20 percent of my mix right now, it's hardly noticeable in my sea of LFS I've goin on.

Also Peter uses the red stuff at his nursery, so we should all be ok!

I've used the grey stuff, charcoal, and the red stuff with no differences. Hell, I'd even use gravel if it didn't weigh so darn much and soak up so much heat.

Red lava rock is all I find around here and has been fine for me as well.

Re:
I'd even use gravel if it didn't weigh so darn much...

Try looking for Hydroton...
it is a bit lighter than gravel and has the structure of micro-lavarock to some degree.
It isn't ideal for everything, but it does have its uses.
You can find it on e-bay or cheaper (no shipping charges) at your local hydroponics store.

Coarse perlite is another choice.

Again, if you look and "search" the forum, you will have more than enough opinions on either of these.

Back