What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red hair.....brown hair

Hi, I have a Cobra Lilly and it is doing very well except for one thing. The very top of the biggest pitcher is turning red then it turns brown and now it is starting to like cave in why is this happening?
Kyle

hmmmm, it probaly got sunburned and is now dieing, how much water are you giving it?And are you keeping its roots cold?Hope it helps,
Kevin

I give it Plenty of cold water and the flourescent light on it doesn't give off much heat at all. My house it always like 70 degrees so i think it's cool enough.

Just an old pitcher I would guess. Watch the other ones closely though.

maybe your humidity is low?

How much humidity do they require to be healthy?
confused.gif

Try treating it like a highland nep. Cool at night, warm (not hot) at day and very high humidity. If the plant is small a plastic bag over the pot can help.

Also try (don't remember his name)'s one plant peanut butter jar terrarium. Also sitting it in a tray of water can give it some more humidity.
smile.gif

OK first off it could be just an old pitcher dieing off. So dont stress.
I have.... um about 13 of them here and they are perfect plants to grow outside here in Washington. They can deal with being burried in the snow and heavy frosts since they are from the mountains, although I would try to avoid burrying them in the snow
wink.gif
Personally I don't think that they need too much humidity although some is nice and I don't sit mine in water either especially now that they are entering dormacy. Give them the boot and kick them outside if you havent already mother nature will take care of them. If it gets too cold you may want to put some mulch over them or possibly put them under cover. These plants love the cold though and do terribly inside from what Ive seen.

Back