What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendatin for a small ro system?

I live in an efficiency apartment and I'm interested in finding a small reverse osmosis system for my CPs. I'm getting tired of lugging huge jugs of distilled water from the grocery store, but I don't have a lot of space in the kitchen to spare for a unit.

I don't have a huge collection of CPs, so I don't need a huge amount of output. I use maybe 1 gal/week of water. My collection is growing, but not so much that I anticipate a much larger need for water.

Ideally, I'd like something that I could easily hook up when I need water, and then remove from the sink and store.

Can anyone recommend anything that would meet my needs?

I found this system in my searching online :

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/aquamallusa/watminrevoss.html

Thoughts?

I really appreciate any advice!

I had the same needs so I got one of these: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kenmore-UltraFilter-100-Reverse-Osmosis-System_W0QQitemZ4402501566QQcategoryZ20684QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ken....iewItem</a>

You can often get them for $50 or so on ebay if you keep watching for them. They also don't seem to get a lot of bids.

I got mine off of e-bay. It's a kitchen sink RO system, which is great - we use the water for everything, not just my plants.

The kitchen sink RO units are nice if you have a spot to put the tank under the cabinet and the spigot up top. Then you always have water handy.

Other option is a unit that would connect to the faucet with an adapter. You won't pay much more for a 75g/day unit than you will for a 20g/day. And if you have to attach it to your faucet each time. You will appreciate it not taking hours to fill a few jugs. The cost for the membrane is marginal while the filters and housings etc are usually the same. I would just mention that you should look for a 3 stage unit vs a 2stage. A 3stage allows a separate sediment prefilter and carbon block prefilter. That way you can change them independently of each other. A 2stage unit would have a single combination particle and carbon prefilter.
Also stay away from the units that use a line filter to prefilter. The kind of filter used for prefiltering water for icemakers etc. They are very expensive to replace as they are not universal and your tossing the filter housing each time as well.

Other than that you can't really go wrong with just about any of the modern units. Ebay often has many. Aquarium pet supply places have good units etc.
Here is a link so you can see the kind of unit you should be looking for. spectrapure 3stage RO

Tony

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm going to check out eBay when I get home from work.

In general how much space under the sink are we talking about?

Also, are these units difficult to install?  I would say I'm pretty non-mechanical, so I'd like something that's pretty easy to install, especially since I anticipate needing to move the unit when I move at some point.

On my RO unit, the most complicated part is the drainage line. I solved that problem by ignoring it and just letting it drain into the sink.
smile.gif

So really the only connection needed was the water source. All you have to do is unscrew the line going up into the faucet, screw the RO unit connection into it, and then screw that up into the faucet. Piece of cake... all you need is a wrench... and plumber's tape (included).

As far as space, mine is actually pretty big. It's about 15"x15"x10". The storage tank it sends water into is more than half that size too.

It includes a spout that you would normally install into the counter next to your sink, but I left it free and water the plants with it directly.

Back