What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-potting tips

Hello.

Can anyone give me some advice about how re-pot my VFT? What kind of soil should I use?

for soil, i use either pure lfs (long fibered sphagnum moss) or a 50/50 mix of canadium sphagnum peat moss and perlite (shultz brand is great&#33
wink.gif

personally, i wouldn't repot right now, as your vft should be going into dormancy very soon, and the added stress of repotting could be detrimental to the health of the plant. vft's do not have a very large root system, and will be happy in a small pot for a while. i had my dente, double plant option, for a full year before i decided to repot. did it need to be repotted? not really, i just wanted to.

feel free to pm me with any other questions you might have.

peace,
technoracer

If you do re-pot right now. I would keep the soil around the vft so that it does not disturb the roots. You may also want to concider using the same soil mix as the vft is in right now. If you want to get rid of the soil round the plant I would wait like technoracer said. The risk of the vft going into shock is high by disturbing the fragile roots and just before winter may not be the best time.

On a personal note I hate transplanting.

Travis

Back