What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rare plant nearly wiped out by work crews...

That is terrible.
smile_h_32.gif

Wait just a minute.......the ONLY place it is found is next to a road in the U.S.A?
confused.gif
That is crazy!!

Man, haven't they ever heard of tissue culture?

It really is horrible. I'm surprised that one of the plant groups over there didn't realize the danger of a very rare plant that's basically growing in a roadside ditch.

I really hope that they can save this species, the flowers are gorgeous. It really is quite traumatic to know that they are down to only 5 of them left. I'm hoping as well that the wrong people don't rush over there to try and attempt a rescue themselves.

Tissue culture is a great thing, and at the very least they should attempt it with a small section of one of the remaining plants. Really, this is probably the worst news i've heard all day.
confused.gif

That just proves what construction companies are

Wasn't a construction crew. The Baker's Larkspur were next to a water culvert, and the City was going to clear it. They used the old standby for destruction, the backhoe. I hear 100 plants lived there, and they managed to get 95 of them in one bite. So as you see, every living thing in this country is in jeopardy because of lack of thought, and unchecked housing growth. We are all responsible, in one way or another, of thoughtless acts in nature. Myself included.

Back