What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain, rain ,rain

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I built a rain collector by taping plastic on to my greenhouse. The plastic channels the water into three 55 gallon plastic barrels. Thursday night and Friday morning we got alot of rain. By 9am friday morning one of the barrels was alomst ready to run over. I plan on storing the rain in 5 gallon water bottles, I have 5 of them. I filled all 5 up. That's 25 gallons of water. After I filled the bottles the barrel was about half full. It rained again last night and this morning the barrel had overflowed. the other two barrels were almost full too. I filled three 2 1/2 gallon jugs that I had and a few 1 gallon jugs. I got almost 200 gallons of rain water in two days. I know this won't be typical because like I said we got alot of rain, infact we had so much rain that there was some flooding this morning. But I still think that my rain collector is a success.
Has anybody else tried to make something to collect large amounts of rain?

I haven't made one yet (currently just using a few 1 gal jugs) but I was planning to build something very much like you have described.. glad to know I was on the right track.

I have an assortment of buckets and tubs outside to collect rainwater but I'm not real happy with that. I'd like ONE large container. I'd like something that would funnel rain water like yours but I don't have the tools to build anything. But I'll figure out something.
smile.gif

Suzanne

You don't really need any tools. Just plastic and tape.
I cut a piece of plastic the length of the green house. Taped it on the edge of the greenhouse. Then I drove a piece of 3/4" emt conduit into the ground. Taped one corner of the plastic to the conduit. The other end of the plastic I taped to the barrel. Of couse I taped the conduit end higher so that the water will flow down hill into the barrel. I didn't permanantly attach the plastic to the grenhouse because I didn't want a gust of wind to get under the plastic and rip the greenhouse. I made it so that the tape will come off before the greenhouse rips.
I used the emt because I'm an electrician and I had plenty of it. You can use a stick, board, pipe, etc. If your barrel is pretty low you won't need to use anything. I had to so that the water woundn't flow away from the barrel.

If your water table is very high, and a lot of us are living on "reclaimed" swamp land with very high water indeed, you can sink a barrel into the ground and punch a few holes for continous water whenever you need it. Run a bucket down when you--

Waitaminit--I've just reinvented the well!

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (steveo @ May 13 2003, 2:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If your water table is very high, and a lot of us are living on "reclaimed" swamp land with very high water indeed, you can sink a barrel into the ground and punch a few holes for continous water whenever you need it.  Run a bucket down when you--

Waitaminit--I've just reinvented the well!

Steve[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ROFL....Least it wasn't the wheel.
biggrin.gif

alien.gif

Back