What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radical suggestion....

... should the mission of the NASC be extended to rescue and preserve the other CPs found at the sites of our endangered Sarracenia? It would be a shame to go rescue the Sarras at a site to be developed, and let the drosera or vfts, or whatever other cps that are there get bulldozed. I realize the focus of the efforts is Sarracenia, and it should be, but as long as we're looking after them, we should also take care of the other CPs present. What do you think?

Capslock

i think that the NASC should rescue all cp's found at the sites they go to.

it's like this: the NASC goes to a site to rescue some sarrs. at this same site, there are other cp's growing, and no one there to rescue them. the NASC could (and should) distribute those plants, in addition to the sarrs they have collected, to the members and the stewards of the nasc. it these stewards are going to propagate, then distribute the seed to other growers and cp societies, what's the harm in rescuing all cp's at a given site, as opposed to only the ones listed in their name?

thoughts?

tech...

i would say any and all CPs....if there is a knowlegeable person in the rescue and they notice another not so common non-CP it may be a good idea to grab it up too. what "we" are trying to save and preserve is actually a part of an ecosystem. other cp's and uncommon bog plants and such should be included if there are knowlegeable ppl to take them in. just my 2 cents.

Rattler

I see no reason why a rescue couldn't include any other CPs found there. I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to take them into stewardship. Would be a shame to see ANY CP destroyed. Of course its heartbreaking to see ANY native plant destroyed but I guess one group can't save 'em all.

We could invite a local Native Plant Rescue Group to collect non-cp plants such as orchids. Cp's are not the only niche plants at risk and it would be nice to help preserve all specialized bog plants from thier eventualy extinction.

Plus, networking with local groups will help in alerting the USNSC to sites at risk.

Just a thought.

Glenn

Oops, wrong accranym (sp?).
confused.gif

lol It does help to get the name right.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Aug. 05 2004,11:38)]We could invite a local Native Plant Rescue Group to collect non-cp plants such as orchids.  Cp's are not the only niche plants at risk and it would be nice to help preserve all specialized bog plants from thier eventualy extinction.
Execellent point Glenn. Mike Howlett, and I have discussed at great lengths the importance of preserving the native environment in the process of saving our beloved plants. I.E. while we would all love to find a well hidden spot and fill it with Sarrs we must take into account the effect this would have on surrounding native plants. If a particular population should exceed what would naturaly occur in nature that whole ecosystem would be impacted negatively.

absolutely! they shouldn't make trips to rescue sarrs and rescue other cp's while there, they should make trips to rescue any and every cp in danger.

Our main goal is sarracenia, but I have to agree that any plant on site (CP related in this case) should be rescued with all pertinent information. Of course, we still have to wait for Casper to chime in here sometime telling us we are good to go. It is a slow process getting started, isn't it?

Ah yes, the right way is always the slow way.

As far as the other CPs at a site, I would have to ask, who among us would ACTUALLY leave a drosera to get bulldozed? Who amoung us would leave a VFT to get bulldozed?

Not I my friends.

On a side note, I know we have a lot of support here, but I have been asking for something for a long time with, what seems little interest.

I am but one man. I am doing as much as I can, but there is SO much to be done. What we need are a few leaders to take on a few of the chairperson positions. I have spoke to Bugweed about this over the phone, and we have some ideas, but I would hate to publicly ask anyone and put them behind the eight-ball so to speak.

I agree. I know that issue has been brought up but sometimes things like that are buried in threads that have moved down the pike. Perhaps if we start a new thread with Chair positions listed that are open and take volunteers or nominations?

Perhaps a pinned topic so it doesn't just move on. Good plan, PAK!

As the NASC becomes more defined as an actual business entity I hope that more chances will present themselves.  I think it goes without saying that all CP should be rescued, but would urge any collection efforts to have written signed permissions in place and on file.

A pinned thread is a good idea for the selection of operatives for the NASC.  A general meeting would be called for to determine those interested in active participation with the Project on a level other than as recipients of plants.

You must know that the NASC will be made up of two sorts: the officers who will do all the work, and the assembly who will wait to do as they are told to do.

Once the NASC is an actual entity, the President should speak for the NASC.  It is much more effective to be able to state "We ARE the NASC" vs "We are working at being...".  Casper, you need a list of workers you can assign projects to.  In this example, a clever worker would ask "How many other sites are there like this being developed?  Who are the developers?  How can one learn which areas are slated for development?  Approaches could be sensitive letters to the Chamber of Commerce in these respective "CP Hotbed" areas to see if consciousness could be raised in *advance* of the actual need for collection, by establishing friendly connections in local areas that could alert the NASC as to upcoming development (man I hate that word).  This is a major Committee project.  Broken into parts it requires:

1.  That such hot bed areas are defined by those that know where they are, like Brooks, Bug, Jay, Barry....  MAke a list of Counties and send it to someone appointed to the committee.  Pick someone from the roster of willing hands and let them compile the lists sent to them: a committee secretary.  These are appointable positions needing only the appointment by the President.

2.  Actual mailing addresses for such Counties need to be compiled.  This means getting to the phone books of the relavent areas to obtain the addresses.  I think the phone books are all on line.  Split the list of such Counties into parts and give them to a few willing workers to work on over time.  Have them all send the results to the Committee Secretary.

3. Contact be made with Chamber of Commerce, Co-operative Extensions and Biology Dept's., of the nearest Universities to these areas in a professional manner, explaining the goals of the NASC.  Consider an article written and send to the local press, both from the recent successful collection and also to solicit future consideration.  Let the locals know that there is a concerned group willing to do the work of collection and preservation IF they are made aware of the planned development.

Remember, one successful collection has already been made, with hundreds of plants conserved and distributed.  Use PR to play it up big.  Write the story and share it with the local press.  Let Nature Conservancy know about the success: for it was a success!  Write and article for the ICPS!! Toot the durn HORN!  Make each contact letter as personal as possible, not form letters.  Try in advance to get the name of whatever Department Head, or responsible party that is being contacted and use it in the letter.

As I see it now, you need to get a list of those willing to do this sort of work, and make a pinned thread to discuss the election of true officers. I can state with assurance that should Casper, Bug and PAK elect to run, they would likely be unopposed.  Once willing hands are ready to do some work, here is a project that is essential.  Like all projects, this one will probably take forever to do, but it is something that can be begun now.  Get those addresses, and once the NASC is incorporated, send the letters then.  I will be happy to write some letters when the time comes for the President's approval, but names and addresses will be needed.

You could get a lot of passerby's to come to a meeting if you post the meeting as "NASC FREE PLANT GIVEAWAY AT 6:00 On the Trade Forum".  Then post a note there directing everyone to the NASC meeting thread here!

"No Love Without Burden"

I believe every CP should be removed from the location. I additionally believe attempts should be made to coordinate with local native plant organizations for any non CP plant material at the site.

Back