What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Question

I figured I'd put this question in this forum since it gets more visits than the ping forum... Can D. burmannii and P. lusitanica live in a terrarium together? I know that they are both annuals, but that doesnt mean that they live in the same spot... Duh... Hehehehe...

I think D. burmannii is australian, and P. lusitanica is warm temperate... See, I was thinking... If there are D. binatas that go into dormancy, why can't other australian dews?

Please say I can do it.
wink.gif

Thanks, hehehe...

The answer to this is that the Australian species have adapted to make the most out of good growing conditions, and will continue in vegative growth if there are suitable conditions both in habitat and in collections. Dormancy in the pygmys is a sensitive time, and even in habitat there are major population losses after dormancy which are quickly replaced when the gemmae season begins. In my experience even binata will forego dormancy if growing requirements are met, and the petiolaris likewise.

Both burmanii and P. lusitanica have similar needs, and I see no reason why you couldn't grow these as companions, with some adjustments for the different substrate requirements.

I did sumthing like Peat:Fine Silica Sand:Vermiculite 2:1:1

Its rocky, kinda like australia... I guess. But its also not overly sandy, and quite peaty like a North American species...

How would I do dormancy for them? If I sow both of their seeds at the end of august, maybe earlier, I can put them into dormancy next september? When do they flower, then die?

Thanks!!! ^_^

Neither species you name has any dormancy requirement. Burmanii will persist over several seasons if grown well, and is given a lot of attention to light and feeding after flowering when it will decline. I have no experience with the Pinguicula.

Thanks Tamlin... I'll go post some questions in the Ping forum about the lusitanica, tho I'm sure I'll plant them together...

One last question though...

From the day you sow the seed, to the day it dies... What process does it go thru, and for how many months? What triggers the flowering, etc?

Back