What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick q about winter dormancy on mexican pings

I got one from a trade and after acclimation i am supposed to let it dry out for the succulent phase until the spring....my question is do I water it any at all? like maybe mist it every now and then?

If the plant hasn't begun going succulent, jsut keep at the watering regime oyu have it on. If it is already going into its winter phase, then slowly cut back on watering until you're leaving it completley dry (some species do appreciate slightly moist soil if they go dormant, though, like P. gigantea).

If it is P. gypsicola or some of the hybrids you want to keep it bone dry while in the winter leaf form. Most any other Mexican Pinguicula just cut back the amount of a water so long as they are never completely dry for any length of time over several days. A lot depends on your ambient humidity.

it is the p. agnata giant....guess i will just keep a 1-2mm of water in the bottom of the tray and add more when completely dry. rh in the house seems about 50% or so. seems to be working.....leaves look glossy/waxy like a jungle plant; doesn't have any of the tiny hairs on them anymore so it might be going succulent..also there is new growth so as long as it is producing greenery i am not too worried.

thx for the advice.

P. agnata is one of the few whose leaves don't change to winter leaf mode.

Hello all :)

From my experience, i let the soil dry, but i add a little water to the very youngs pings every 2-3 weeks, and i try to keep the rh at 80% the night and 40% the day. All my adults mex pings are dormant now :)

Maiden

for me lightly wet for all , exept the filiform these one dry ( exept moctezumae)

jeff

My rule of thumb is simple..
From Thanksgiving Day to Valentine's Day, NO WATER!
Keep them in a cool, low light environment. mid 50*s to low 60*s is fine.
Let them go bone dry from those dates. Then start watering and giving them LOTS of light and warmer temps come Valentine's Day.
My entire collection has been happy on this regimen for over 3 years now.

What I do with mine,especially my gypsicola tray,is let them go dry and every month or so add some water,maybe 1/4" and when the media wicks it all up call it good. I won't start watering them until I notice summer leaves starting to grow.

Back