What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about the Lowes rubra

Hey guys, first post here at Terraforums

A few weeks ago I purchased a Sarracenia rubra from a Lowes death cube, which listed the plant as "The red pitcher plant", but gave no latin name . Does anyone know what subspecies of rubra this is?

It could be anything even a hybrid.

You'll just have to wait until it matures and grows sufficiently that enough characteristics show for a chance of making an ID from photographs.

Welcome to TerraForums

This sticky might help.

Thanks for the reply, Not a Number

I checked the sticky before making my post but couldn't find any answers. You're probably right that I should wait until maturity to try to identify the plant.

Welcome to TF! How big is the plant?

Can you post a picture? Those Botanical Wonders ID tags are less than indicative. Does it look anything like any of these, that also came from Lowes?

S_leucophylla_purpurea_and_dixie_la.jpg

IMG_4213.jpg

Hey there W U N
welcome to the insanity.LOL

alabamensis?

anyways. my rubra from lowes are just the plain rubra ssp rubra.

Alex

I believe Griffin is correct, the AgriStarts line of rubra is reported to be an alabamensis.

but that would make it HIGHLY illegal though wouldnt it? so what i have is rubra ssp alabamensis?!

I am not sure what the legal status of them is. A bunch of the mass market pings are lusitanica which is also protected and a good number of the AS purps are montana... IIRC there was a really long thread discussing this a couple years ago. Might try searching for it and seeing what the end result of all the talk was.

The easiest solution would be to contact AgrStarts3.

Perhaps they have a permit since the plants are being propagated through tissue culture and the original plants may have been collect prior to the Endangered Species Act. Exceptions are permitted under Section 10 of the ESA. It's the ESA that prohibits interstate transportation and sales within the US.

After all the mass propagation of these plants could be argued to be conservation.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/ESA/sec10.html

SEC. 10.
(a) PERMITS.—(1) The Secretary may permit, under such terms and conditions
as he shall prescribe—
(A) any act otherwise prohibited by section 9 for scientific purposes or to enhance
the propagation or survival of the affected species, including, but not limited
to, acts necessary for the establishment and maintenance of experimental
populations pursuant to subsection (j); or

(j) EXPERIMENTAL POPULATIONS.—(1) For purposes of this subsection, the term “experimental population” means any population (including any offspring arising solely
therefrom) authorized by the Secretary for release under paragraph (2), but only when,
34 and at such times as, the population is wholly separate geographically from
nonexperimental populations of the same species.
(2)(A) The Secretary may authorize the release (and the related transportation) of
any population (including eggs, propagules, or individuals) of an endangered species
or a threatened species outside the current range of such species if the Secretary
determines that such release will further the conservation of such species.
(B) Before authorizing the release of any population under subparagraph (A), the
Secretary shall by regulation identify the population and determine, on the basis of
the best available information, whether or not such population is essential to the
continued existence of an endangered species or a threatened species.
(C) For the purposes of this Act, each member of an experimental population shall
be treated as a threatened species; except that—
(i) solely for purposes of section 7 (other than subsection (a)(1) thereof), an
experimental population determined under subparagraph (B) to be not essential
to the continued existence of a species shall be treated, except when it occurs
in an area within the National Wildlife Refuge System or the National Park
System, as a species proposed to be listed under section 4; and
(ii) critical habitat shall not be designated under this Act for any experimental
population determined under subparagraph (B) to be not essential to the continued
existence of a species.
(3) The Secretary, with respect to populations of endangered species or threatened
species that the Secretary authorized, before the date of the enactment of this
subsection, for release in geographical areas separate from the other populations of
such species, shall determine by regulation which of such populations are an experimental
population for the purposes of this subsection and whether or not each is
essential to the continued existence of an endangered species or a threatened species.

I also thought some were supposedly P. ionantha also, but I am just going by memory.

I am not sure what the legal status of them is. A bunch of the mass market pings are lusitanica which is also protected and a good number of the AS purps are montana... IIRC there was a really long thread discussing this a couple years ago. Might try searching for it and seeing what the end result of all the talk was.

Every rubra that I ever got from Lowes was of the rubra ssp. rubra variety. I wouldn't think that CITES plants would be showing up in big box stores. Could be wrong, but it's very doubtful.

Back