What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

How often should I fertilize Paphiopdelium?

With a few exceptions like with the phrags, I usually use fertilizer 1/4 strength with every watering with occasional "breaks". However it does depend on what the recommended amount is with the particular brand you are using. Some fertilizers are made to be used with every watering and some only every two weeks. There is also a type for blooming which has its own directions.

Different growers use different fertilizers and techiniques so there isn't really one prescribed method.

You might get a better idea if you search some information on growing paphs and see what other growers suggest.

Suzanne

Well...thank you then. Most appreciated.
smile.gif
I can add that one to my list.
smile.gif

Hi guys!

Allow me to answer this one (I have an orchid business and am really involved in the orchid community...). There is no magic recipe for fertilizers. It all depends on the species/hybrid grown, its age, the time of year, the growth cycle the plant is in, the light levels the plant gets, etc. A rule of thumb would be to use half the recommanded strenght of the label. If it says 1 tbsp per gallon, go half!

ALWAYS wet the medium first, then water with room temperature water with the fertilizer dissolved in it.

Rule of thumb:

For plants in growth mode, use 30-10-10. This will allow the plant to use maximum Nitrogen.

For plants ready to bloom, use 10-30-10 for about 3 to 5 waterings.

For plants with extended blooming periods like phalaenopsis, use a balance fertilizer like 20-20-20.

Note that the numbers don't have to be the same, as long as the ratio stays the same.

There's sooooo much more to talk about here but that's the basic.

Side note: The effectiveness of any fertilizer might be impeded by the dissolved salts in the water. Some micro-elements of the fertilizer might precipitate (go to the bottom of the container) when mixed with "bad water" hence reducing the effectiveness.

If you have more questions, feel free to write back!

Jo

smile.gif

Back