What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question on mounting Platycerium

I spotted a shelf of Platycerium at work today and ended up buying a couple small ones on my way out, most likely the most common ones. P. bifurcatum? They are potted up in something but from my understanding they are best grown mounted, which is how I would like to grow them regardless of whether they can be left potted or not. I've never mounted anything before but I do have a couple pieces of cork bark that should fit the plants nicely for a while. I was wondering what to use to secure them to the corkbark and what or if I should have anything under them, some sphagnum moss maybe? I saw one site recommending peat moss but I don't see how that will stay in place at all if it is to get wet.

Whenever I mount anything like this, I just put a handful of wet lfs behind it, around the roots. I then use fishing line to secure it to the slab and after a few months, the plant will root directly to whatever you've secured it to and the fishing line can be cut away.

Last edited:
You can also use an organic string that will soon be covered in mosses, algae, and stains that it becomes nearly invisible. In time it will decay and loosen, evenutally falling apart and becoming part of the mass of .... stuff ..... growing along with the roots.

+1 to the previous good suggestions.

I actually prefer to pot Platys for a while (4" pot), develop a strong root mass, and then mount the rootball. This system makes them less prone to drying out as they adjust to the mount.

Back