What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on flower stalk.

I decided to cut off the fully grown flower stalk on my flytrap which failed to produce flowers. I then put it in water for a week, the top started turning brown, and I think I see roots on the bottom. Will this just root then die, or root, make more flytraps, and live? I know you can do this with individual leaves of VFTs and get more but I was wondering if this would work too.

Now I am rather new to this, but I would imagine since the stalk was cut off above a growth point it probably won't produce a new plant.

But then again, I'm probably as new to this as you are. :poke:

It is possible to get plantlets from VFT flower stalks, it's rare but it does happen. Little buds/bumps should form which eventually (with luck) develop into plantlets. When these form root cut/knock them off and plant them. It should take many weeks or a few months for the buds to form. It could just be algae or moss forming on the stalk. Take a peek at it under a magnifying glass if you have one.

See this thread which covers leaf pullings which essentially is what would be going on if you get plantlets from a flower stalk.

Does black tea water kill algea? That's what it's growing in, in the water dish of my sundews. The bottom of the stalk is blackish but not dead-black, and I think I saw roots, but then the lights turned off on me and there weren't any strong enough lights to see it.

Normally if you propagate cuttings (leaf, root or flower stalk) in water, you want the water clean as can be. Change it at least once a week or whenever you notice algae growing in it.

I just looked at it again because my lights turned on, and those "roots" were little white worms. Are those worms fungus gnat larvae?

Could be anything. Do they look like this?

Exactly, but my macro isn't NEARLY that good so I have to rely on my eyes. I left it out of the water while I was at school and it semi dried up, killed the bugs (I hope), but did it kill my chances of having new growth start. It does look kind of like that link in the thread you posted, with the new sprouts on the dead leaf.

I don't think you'd get any growth within a week but how knows? How long is the stalk? You could try cutting off the end so you have a piece 1 or two inches long with the stuff on it and put both pieces in covered cups of water and hope for the best. The cups should be under lights by the way. Most likely you'll get no growth but again one never knows until you try it.

Back