What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for all you Xbox360 users

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So, I got myself a referb 360 and I had a question for all you other users. Is the fan on the bloody thing supposed to be as loud as a helicopter taking off from 3 meters??

I have the aftermarket 3 fan cooling thing on mine which is pretty loud (these things are known for over heating) I just took mine off and turned it on... it's pretty dang quiet. :sorry:

Mine can be sometimes noticeable, but 90% of the time the disk spinning is louder. The only time I've noticed the fan is if the machine has been running for a while. You might have picked up an older model, or have a lemon. Either way, the cooling for this machine is really important, so I would check it out to make sure everything is functioning properly.

sounds like the usual problem with a fan before it kicks the bucket. keep an eye out on it and if you smell something funny send it back to mircoshaft and expect it back in 3 months. or just check that the fan is properly seated and not vibrating loose.

it almost seems like they didnt even fix anything with the recall, we got my brother a new 360 and within 2 months the fans died.

~billy

The fan is not supposed to be loud. It is VERY quiet. It's the dang dvd drive that makes all the noise. But, with the new firmware, you can install the game to your hard drive so that dvd drive won't spin. I love the silence.

Okay I am assuming it is the fan cause it makes the sound when I fire it up with no disc in it. I can not imagine that it is the drive but maybe I am mistaken.

As for downloading firmware... I do not have net access at home so that option is out... :(

My first unit (before I sent it for repair...) was very loud. And so was my second. Now on my third unit, and it's quiet.

Well when you first start it up the fan will be pretty lounds but should die down alittle. As everyone else said the disc drive is loud. You can download the game onto the hard drive and that wont spin the disk. You can do this by going into your menu options without downloading anything.

Alright, here is something a bit more concrete. I took these a couple minutes apart so no change in environment or the like

My PS3 with fan running (after about 30 min of play):

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i146.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/asplundii/P1210004.flv">

My 360 with fan running (immediately after turning on. About the time my hand comes into the frame the disc drive fires up.):

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i146.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/asplundii/P1210003.flv">

My friend just got the red ring of death last month. He had bought his 360 brand new sometime in either late '07 or early '08.

The 360's biggest drawback: if you don't supply some sort of extra cooling, your console will burn. ???

So if everyone is having all these problems with the fan, why won't the manufacturer fix it so it won't happen again?

So if everyone is having all these problems with the fan, why won't the manufacturer fix it so it won't happen again?

Microsoft is commonly written as Micro$oft for a reason. ;)

All of my friends that've had an 360 have had to send it back at least once. I have one friend who was averaging a new one every 6 months until this past year broke the record. I'm just waiting for this one to kick the bucket. ;) And, no, he does absolutely everything right, he's just an unlucky bugger when it comes to 360s.

My 360 with fan running (immediately after turning on. About the time my hand comes into the frame the disc drive fires up.):

Wow, that does sound quite loud. I think there's the distinct possibility that you were accidentally shipped the new Microsoft Harrier Jet Transformer. Watch out for that, I always figured that an xbox would be a Deceptacon...

Well first off your xbox is way to close to everything else. I would recommed atleast a foot radius, thats how alot of peole burn out their xbox. That is definetly alot louder than mine, I would buy an intercooler, there under $20 and work great just incase you main fan goes.u

I have mine very close to other electronics like Pyro.. I don't play tons but some... I've had it since about when they came out and have never had a problem... I do have the intercooler on it though- those are pretty noisy :p I sent pyro videos of mine running with and without the cooler for comparison.

Do not buy the intercooler, if you already have it, remove it. It causes more problems than it solves, google it.

:-))

Same reason they focused on meeting the customer's needs with Vista. :-)) :crazy:
------------------------------
After previewing my post, I realized I may have come across as rude - so I apologize for that. I just find the concept of Microsoft caring about its customers as hilarious....

My brother's 360 isn't that loud. But I guess a fan is really important, because I can't play on it for more than an hour or "It will blow up and burn the house down"

Back