What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about red capensis

Is the red form of D. Capensis as prolific (as in flower/seed production) as the regular narrow Capensis? Thank you for the information

I'm not sure that there is only one 'red' form of D. capensis. I grow a red form, which now that it is full grown, flowers well and sets plenty of seed each year. I'm sure my plant would be redder if I gave it more light, but competition for the sunniest spots is pretty high in my over-crowded collection. Other red forms I've seen, in real life and on the web, have a more compact growth form, and deeper, almost purple/red leaf colour.

Red2.jpg

Red.jpg

Vic

Hey vic, thanks a lot for the picture. Your plant is stiil very cool, even if it's not completely deep red. The flower is beautiful. I can only hope to have flowers as beautiful as yours on my sundews, although I'm not sure when that will happen, it's taking forever for even a hint of a bud to show up on my capensis or spatulata.

Vic,

This is the form I have heard originated from the Bonn Botanical Gardens. it's my favorite D. capensis form, even if it is a bit more tempermental than most in my care. I love the looooong petioles, and yes, it turns totally deep maroon in full sun, not a bit of green showing.

I have seen other red forms as well, but they seem to have both shorter petioles and lamina. I have a nice crop of seedlings, but it's too soon to tell which form they will be when mature.

Tamlin,

I'm not sure where this form originated, it does get completely red in full sun. To my eye, it looks quite different to other red forms, such as that shown in 'The Savage Garden'.

I obtained my seed about 3 1/2 years ago from a nursery in the UK, called Cambrian Carnivores (now unfortunately no longer trading), so it might be difficult to track down it's origins. You are welcome to a big batch of seeds soon, if you want them, which you can share with interested growers on your side of the 'pond'.

Vic

Back