What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about fluorescents

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Okay, I know UV bulbs need to be replaced every 4-6 months due to the fact that the UV giveout gradually decreases, but is it the same with flourescents? I assume it is, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
        Tanya

EDIT: God I hate typos in titles.. you should be able to edit 'em, man.. "flourescents"^

I like baking with flour escents hehe

Fluorescent bulbs should be replaced every 6 -12 months. If you have just a single bulb I would do it on the 6-8 month range. Many growers that have multiple bulbs will replace them on a rotation.

T

I know that the light output drops off quite a bit after the first 6 months of the fluorescent lamps usage. I'm just too cheap to replace any lamps that are still illuminating -- I do know that my plants would probably benefit from doing so. I almost always wait until the lamps go dark (burn out) before I replace them.

LOL, I am in the same boat as Joe. I have some going downstairs that I know are over two years old, but the plants are still colorful. I have not ever tried mylar on the sides of the tanks either.

Cheers,

Joe

I change my bulbs once a year.

Thanks y'all.. and thanks to whoever fixed the typo!

There is still a typo.. but almost everyone spells it wrong ;/

fl UO rescent Not fl OU rescent

Wheat turns to flour .. phosphorus fluoresces

one of my pet peeves I guess!

T

Anyone ever tried overdriving fluorescents? It's something I tried recently and it works great, but it runs a bulb down quick. It takes a little wiring but the boost in light is amazing.

Joe

Explain Joe, I am interested.

I use fluorescents until the burn out, but I am switching to the new cool whites. They are supposed to keep a strong output for a couple of years and last a couple of more. We shall see about that, but the output is fantastic.

Which ones are you talking about copper...are those the ones which come in spiral or short PL shapes and claim to have the power many times that of ordinary balloon shaped bulbs?

Well, Here it is.
It's not my fault if you hurt yourself!

1) Start with a twin 40wtt/48" light fixture.
2) Open the shell of the fixture, clip all the wires. (If your wire map on ballast is faded you might want to right it down)
3) Now you need an 18" fixture, the ones that use 15wtt, 20wtt,so on.
4) Do the same as above with the 18" as well.
5) Reconnect the ballast to the 18" fixture, remember that it has twin out puts, instead you need to double the outputs to each side.
6) Make sure no wires are touching each other and that you use something to cover exposed wire.
7) If any wires touch not only will it hurt if your apart of it but it will kill the ballast possibly.
8) You just need a bulb that has the spectrum that you want.
By my use I would say that If your bulb has 1 yr of use plants wise then you over drive it and it is 20wtt running on twin 40wtt ballast; That leaves you with 80wtts on a 20wtt bulb. Since 80 divided 20 = 4, We have quadrupled its output and therefore its life is cut down to 1/4 of its 20wtt life.

1yr bulb = 3month bulb rotation on over drive X4

Joe

So that means quadrulpling the light output - lumens or whatever light is measured in for plants?

So after that what do you do with the 40W fixture. Won't it be less wastefull to buy a single ballast?

Jason,
Whatever you multiply output, you must also divide by the same number to equal the life of the bulb. Toss the 40wtt fixture or keep it,it doesn't matter really.

In the 40wtt fixtures the ballast is a single unit with dual outputs (4 wires + positive, negative, and ground) Jason, you are half correct, while it is technically wasteful to trash 2 fixtures to make one. You must remember that you are doin this in sacrifice to higher lumen efficiency, and flat out brighter lights for stronger more vigorous growth. I have a bulb running this way for a couple months now.

40wtt fixture = $20 40wtt fixture = $20
18" fixture = $10 2 40wtt bulbs = $10
1 18" bulb = $6
40wtt bulb = 1600 lumens
15wtt bulb = 900 lumens 1600 X 2 = 3200 lumens

OK, so you get 400 more lumens, out of a single bulb, thius single bulb also fits into terrariums ALOT easier than 48". It's more efficient!

Joe
900 X 4 = 3600 lumens

Don't worry, I am always up to doing myself injury
smile_m_32.gif

Why not just use a 65w sunlight compact fluorescent bulb in a simple clip on type reflector?? Should cost around $30-35 bucks for the bulb and reflector and give you about 4000 lumens. If your talking replacing 1 or 2 normal tubes every few months you end up spending about the same in bulb cost on an annual basis.
Plus there is a whole lot less chance of burning down the house.. which would really cost alot to fix!

Tony

Here is a link to some bulbs that screw into normal medium incandescent bases. Would shop around for prices but this place has a nice selection of wattage and color temperature. NaturalLighting

Tony,
You're right. The larger compact fluoros are a better way to go but you can also overdrive them too.
I am not saying that anyone should or shouldn't, I just tossed it out there cause I have been messing with my lights.

Joe

Tony, yeah, I know it's "flourescents"... I never make that many typos in regular situations.. I guess it's the amount of pressure to not make a typo in a topic title that screws me up -_^

Any time you can't sleep at night because you made a typo in your title.. just contact a mod via pm with a link to the thread and a message on how it should read.

btw the title for this thread has been edited and is certified typo free hehe

Joe.. I certainly don't want to squelch any homegrown tinkering
smile_m_32.gif

Hmmm.. I still see "fluorescents"...

FTG,
It's supposed to be "uo" NOT "ou". Fluorescent-Not Flourescent. That would make it luminating of ground wheat.

Back