What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyro,

hi pyro,
your cuttings arrived today, black and rotting.
sad.gif
I'll do my best to revive them.

I just looked closer, the leaves are clear, and ripped, and rotting. Thanks for sending them, though.
sad.gif

sad.gif

EDIT: I know what happened...you shipped them in dry spagnum...
sad.gif
sad.gif

The sphagnum most likely dried out from the extended delay (or from what I've heard).

Shipping the dormant ping cuttings dry is not such a bad idea.
The chances are greater that the cuttings will arrive rotten in wet sphagnum, than dried out(when shipped dry). I do not know how well summer leaves(non-dormant leaves) fare when shipped dry. Best to keep these moist.

Hmmm,

How does pft ship their pings? Now I'm curious. I've tried to send ping seedlings to Suzanne in wet and soggy conditions and have had horrible luck in both cases. Same type of plant, one nearly dormant, the other summer leaves. They weren't delayed in the mail either, about 4-5 days.
confused.gif

Spec,

The moss was barely damp as I always send Mexi-Ping leaves and has always worked. More thank likely it is because of the extended time in route, the USPS had the buggers for more than 2 weeks. Sorry to hear they didn't make it, maybe I can get you more at a later date.

Dormant mexican pings should never be shipped wet. They should be shipped completely dry. I have received dormant pings from overseas that were shipped in small plastic bags with styrofoam chips. The plants arrived(after 2 weeks) without any problems.

These were not dormant and they were not wet.

I take a bit of sphag, get it wet and squeeze it till I can no longer get any water out, then I wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze again. In total there is perhaps 100-200 microliters of water in the moss. It does not feel wet but it doesn't crackle like when it is dry. For an analogy, think of the difference between freshly mown grass and hay. I am shipping in the freshly mown grass.

I have shipped this way many times and never had problems. But they had never been in the mail for so long.

Actually, my last response was for Wickthistle.

I missed he question but I guess my answer helps there too. And it clarifies to my earlier post. Sorry if I sounded snappish, that was not my intention

Thanx CP2K!

I've got one last seedling that I can try to ship over there.

Back