What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy problem

My sundews need help (wierd cuz im the self proclaimed king of dew lol j/k)anyways, i sowed alot of gemmae of nitudula X occendtalis (spellin is off) about 6 months ago and had them on the windowsill to start of with. after they sprouted, i moved them into a tank with a partially covered top (plastic wrap cover). it gets alot of light and is misted to allow high humidity. none of the plants are producing any leaves and all are stuck in the same phase of producing leaves but none are coming out. i heard that they liked lower humidty but i danno. The same problem happened to my other pygmies, but after i increseed light, it got better and produced more leaves. all the plants are getting alot of natural light. has this probalem happened to anyone of you guys? (sorry if this question is kinda organized wierd
wink.gif
).

These plants are very oriented to cyclic growth related to day length. If you have them in a tank under a different photoperiod than they had when on the window sill, their internal clock may be affected. I suggest that you acclimate them to the outdoors (see the post on D. adelae), and grow them there. I have found that terrarium culture for these plants is not necessary or desirable, as they do not require high humidity except for gemmae sprouting. If you have no other option, get them as close to the lights as possible: 3 inches is good, and also as close to the center of the tubes as possible: the light falls off towards the ends. Use a photoperiod based on natural daylength for this time of year. With less than 11 hrs. of daylength for more than 3 weeks, the plants will certainly attempt gemmae production, which may be going on since you mention the leaves are not elongating. These plants are light hungry and need much direct sun to really thrive.

really, outdoors? i will risk it, so they will be outdoors today! wish me luck!

Outdoors is by far the best way to go with pygmies.
I give my pygmies(all several hundred) of them 50% shade in Los Angeles as the plants usually suffer burns with less shading (in the summer). They do not grow well for me in pure peat, but they thrive in a mix of about 50% sand and 50% peat. Keep them well watered and they should really take off.

Just remember to go about it in stages: a day of full sun on terrarium grown plants could toast them. If you can arrange broken sun, morning sun, or late afternoon sun for a couple of weeks you should have no problems. Don't let them dry out during the first couple of weeks, tray watering is good. After that I usually let mine drain for a day, back in the tray for a day, and repeat.

i placed them outdoors two days ago and the are partially shaded by my darlingtonia, so after a time of adjustment, i will mave the darling pot so more light will come in. it is on the tray method now.

Back