What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purp hybrid

Can you help me ID this plant? I rescued it at the supermarket a while back.
Kinda looks like my cobra's nest but it looks like it has minor in it. Hmmmm
purp%20hybrid%20plant%20rs.JPG

purp%20hybrid%20pitcher2rs.JPG

purp%20hybrid%20pitcher1rs.JPG

When I got it it looked like it might not make it. The soil was hard as a rock and bone dry. Then when I started watering it and put it in the tray, the bottom of the pitchers was rotting. I repotted it with the top of the rhizome exposed. It is doing much better now. Lots of new shoots coming up.

Looks like a Catesbaei, which is a flava X purp cross. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would be inclined to say it's a light-starved x 'Judith Hindle'

But I'm not really all that good with Sar hybrids....at least not yet!

I agree with Dave; light-starved'Judith Hindle'. Plus, if it's being sold in a supermarket, then its being propagated en mass. That narrows the choices quite a bit.

Trent

It looks a bit fat for Judith Hindle. It could be purpurea crossed with any number of species, although catesbaei hoods tend to turn inwards. It's hard to tell because it's not fully coloured, it's October and there are just a couple of tatty pitchers on it (no offence).

Yeah it was in pretty bad shape when I got it. Almost didn't make it.

I can <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>OFFICIALLY</span> say that it is...

A Sarracenia hybrid!!

<<BOWS>>

thank you thank you

Ok I am going back to that other pitcherplant forum now

Tony

Tony, that's how I feel about the little sparkly plants...

I daresay that looks like catesbei, but I'd wait until it puts out some healthy fully mature growth...

Peter

It looks carnivorous to me!! Stand back everyone!!!!!!!
I agree with the assessment to wait until next spring, and give it a chance to really "come out".

I think you have what I have:
445DSC015751.JPG

I also saved this, only from a garden centre, and it was all pale green when I got it a month ago. The darkness of the peristome is my favourite feature on this plant.
Definitely a purp. cross, like others before have said, most possibly S. catesbaei.

Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think you have what I have:

Wow! that does look about the same. mine looks really ratty though. It doesn't get much sunlight at all now, being Oct. Soon all the ratty pitchers will be gone anyway. It does have lots of new growth coming up though. I'll bet next season mine will look like that
speechless-smiley-025.gif

Your supermarket has nice hybrids. It really is amazing what a grocery store can carry these days.

You know what's funny? The supermarkets and the other stores that sell plants wait till late summer or fall before you see CP's.
I have NEVER seen a vft or any other CP in the stores in the spring or early summer.
I wonder how many vft's get tossed because someone will buy one in the fall and wonder why it's "dying" a month after he or she got it.

lol Tony.  Get back to your neps!

I'd say purp x flava as well.  It looks exactly like the one I have.  Its too fat for a Hindle.  Definitely has purp in there. With more light, it would probably color up and look like Amori's plant.

Did I sound like I know what I'm talking about?  hehe  
biggrin.gif

Neat! I have one just like that! But it wasn't labeld when i got it... Sorry, i can't tell you.

Amori,
That's a nice hybrid. Did you get it at a garden center in Great Britain?
I would say it's a catesbeae, but could also have some alata in it. We have purp x alata hybrids that do exactly what you described; start out green and darken to deep maroon with age.

Trent

Still doubtful about it being catesbaei. This hybrid tends to have a hood that folds in at the top - look at a flava hood and imagine how the shape of this will carry over to the hybrid.

Not to say there isn't flava somewhere in there, but I bet rubra or alata or present.

Wow! is all i can say. that lip. to quote Nigel Tufnel: "none more black". it looks like licorice. that is a cool plant you have there. if you got it at a grocery store, i would think that it means that it's getting mass produced (TC) somewhere. someone, somewhere, must have some kind of idea about it. it's really hard to say what's in it, based on that newer pic. i see flava and purp definitely. you could argue the black comes from alata, however, sarra genetics are a bit odd and the black could just be a product of two or more genes working together to produce such dark pigmentation; not necessarily from a dark parent. i'm sure a lot of sun helps too!

Back