What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purified Water

Right now I collect the cleanest snow from my back yard, melt it down in a big pot, boil it for a few minutes, and then strain it through an old t-shirt.  It's worked well so far. I'll be buying distilled water soon though. I haven't gone to the grocery store in a while.

It's not purified but it's the best I can do for now. I hope to get a job soon and then my parents will have to let me get an RO water system.

Sounds a good plan.
I have two water butts which collect water from the greenhouse roof.

I use an RO unit. I don't have water at the greenhouse yet but this spring it's getting hooked up. So for now I collect RO overnight in 5 gallon water jugs and drag it over to the greenhouse every day and dump it in a 32 gallon resevoir. That's around what 128 liters? Anywho, I'm going to have a tank with a float valve in it to kepe the water topped off so I'll have an unlimited supply for the misting system mainly.

I try to use mostly rain water which works well...as long as its raining.
smile.gif
But I also get pure water from the water dispenser at my local grocery store. Its RO water and only costs 39 cents if I bring my own container. If you use theirs, its 99 cents. At 39 cents its way cheaper than the typical distilled water jugs at stores. More and more grocery stores are installing the pure water systems so now its MUCH easier and cheaper to obtain than it used to be.

I've heard mixed reviews on RO systems. I've heard they are a pain and waste a lot of water but I don't know that first hand. However if you have large volumes of plants needing pure water, its probably the best way to go.

Suzanne

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Jan. 02 2004,03:34)]I try to use mostly rain water which works well...as long as its raining.  
smile.gif
  But I also get pure water from the water dispenser at my local grocery store.  Its RO water and only costs 39 cents if I bring my own container.  If you use theirs, its 99 cents.  At 39 cents its way cheaper than the typical distilled water jugs at stores.  More and more grocery stores are installing the pure water systems so now its MUCH easier and cheaper to obtain than it used to be.

I've heard mixed reviews on RO systems.  I've heard they are a pain and waste a lot of water but I don't know that first hand.  However if you have large volumes of plants needing pure water, its probably the best way to go.

Suzanne
Wow! I'll check to see if my stores have RO water. If it's that cheap then I won't need the system. I've also heard they waste a lot of water. I doubt I'll have enough plants to need a RO system for a long time.

Heh eh...
biggrin.gif

I buy mine from one of those R/O water machines in my local grocery plaza. Costs 25 cents a gallon there. I try to go within a day or 2 of when they service the machine to get the freshest filters.

Steve

Actually our water bill didn't change much since we've been using our RO system. I think it was a change of 3 or 5 dollars more. Not a big difference at all. Of course, our water is pretty cheap considering the whole town is basically fed from the St. Lawrence River. Basically we pay for the electricity to run the pumps, the chlorine and the service repairs. Otherwise water is "free" in a way. Wish I was close enough to the river to syphon in water to power a future underbench fogging system, that way I'd let it run every day from 9 am till 6 or 7 pm in the summer!

I work at a lab so I get free access to deionized water.

Back