What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pumice

upper

Capensis Killer
would these be a good substitution for perlite? i went to home depot and they didnt have any, only pumice.

i did the same thing the other day. Im really not sure, but if it makes you feel better i potted up ~5 neps in 1:1 LFS:pumice. So if you fail so does my platychila! :eek:

would these be a good substitution for perlite? i went to home depot and they didnt have any, only pumice.

It should be just fine. The purpose of either pumice or perlite is to simply provide drainage / aeration for your plants, not to add any particular vital nutrient. I have used either or both in compost mixes with no real difference . . .

I think it's better than perlite when blended with LFS. In my opinion, perlite is too fine and just clogs the pores. I mix sponge rock, with pieces ranging 1/4" to 1/2", and LFS and think it works better and is an airier blend.

Yup, pumice is good stuff. I prefer it to perlite in all of my mixes. Keeps pots grounded, but not overly hefty; it doesn't have that nasty tendency to float to the top of a mix after the first rain; it's less compressible.

yay, pumice. I've used it successfully with everything from Cephs and Neps to Utrics and Pings.

thanks for the info guys! :bigthumpup:

yeah thx for teh info

hehe.........

I like how the bag says "organic" pumice.......

Ya know, as apposed to all the heavily man-made fertilized pumice grown on factory farms........

Man, that's just plain weird. :crazy:

hehe.........

I like how the bag says "organic" pumice.......

Ya know, as apposed to all the heavily man-made fertilized pumice grown on factory farms........

Man, that's just plain weird. :crazy:

For the same reason that a package of apricots I purchased was labeled, "Now a fat-free food." I didn't realize that they once smeared the fruit with suet before we realized the danger we were all facing.

One of the sleazy marketing definitions of "organic" involves a product being free of artificial fertilizers, though you can use pesticides until you are blue in the face (in some instances); and some soil additives are sold with added artificial fertilizers . . .

The Savage Garden says something along the lines of: Another inert soil additive that will increase your soil's porosity. :scratch:

When compared to perlite is pumice more or less expensive?

i got that bag for 3$.

I wish I still had my psychology book, it showed tricks that people would fall for. It went something along these lines...

"Sugar free salt"

"Salt free sugar"

lol
fat free cellphone.

Back