What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Psychedelic Furs

Who remembers the Psychedelic Furs and what did you think of them?  For those too old or too young or whose focus was elsewhere, their time was the early to mid 1980s and their enduring song seems to be Pretty in Pink, heard in the movie of the same name and in a current cell phone commercial.  They later became a MTV band with a couple popular songs on later albums but I liked the band best at the beginning.

I'm asking because I've gotten into some kind of mid-life re-obsession with them.  The first time I saw them (1980-1981) was the best show I ever saw but, when I saw them again a couple years later, they were kind of stilted.  I've been listening to their first two albums (CDs) a lot lately and am thinking the Furs hold up amazingly well.  I guess I shouldn't be thinking about this because I'm in school again and trying to finish off a couple term papers.  So 25-year old music is just a distraction from what I'm supposed to be doing.

Using the Psychedelic Furs as a distraction from school work not much has changed in 25 years either has it. I was slightly into New Wave. I was a bigger fan of the Human League and several other bands.
Let's see what the small vinyl stack has in it:
# ABC
# Adam and the Ants
# Adam Ant
# After The Fire
# A-ha
# Animotion
# The Art of Noise <-- One of the best
# Baxter Robertson
# Big Country
# Billy Idol
# David Bowie <-- not punk or new wave, simply excellent
# Bow Wow Wow
# The Cars
# Elvis Costello
# The Cure
# Depeche Mode
# Dexy's Midnight Runners
# Devo
# Duran Duran
# Ebn-Ozn
# Echo & the Bunnymen
# Eurythmics
# Falco
# The Fixx
# A Flock of Seagulls
# Frankie Goes to Hollywood
# Gene Loves Jezebel
# The Go-Go's
# Nina Hagen
# Haircut 100
# Murray Head
# Heaven 17
#The Human League
# INXS
# Howard Jones
# Kajagoogoo
# Nik Kershaw
# The Knack
# Level 42
# Lene Lovich
# Nick Lowe
# Madness <-- Still think these guys are awesome
# Men at Work
# Men Without Hats
# Missing Persons
# Modern English
# The Motels
# Oingo Boingo
# Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
# Pet Shop Boys
# The Pogues
# The Police
# The Psychedelic Furs
# The Romantics
# Peter Schilling
# Scritti Politti
# Siouxsie and the Banshees
# Soft Cell
# Spandau Ballet
# The Stray Cats
# Taco
# Talking Heads
# Talk Talk
# Thompson Twins
# Til Tuesday
# Tom Tom Club
# Tommy Tutone
# The Vapors
# Violent Femmes
# Wall of Voodoo <-- One hell of a concert
# Wang Chung
# Kim Wilde
# XTC

Okay there are why to many more in other boxes and I haven't even looked at tapes yet. Some of these I owned just to get chicks.

Love the furs! The restaurant that I work at plays them every night during bar hours. I always hang just to listen to them.

Like the music, but brings back not so fond memories of a girl with body hair in wrong places...yeah, P furs and her fur--yech!
smile_h_32.gif

I don't know if I can listen to them again.

PM me for more details. You'll never listen to them again, trust me.

Love your old collection Understudy. What do you listen to now?

Nope; wherever that's heading is a place I don't want to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ May 07 2006,10:59)]PM me for more details. You'll never listen to them again, trust me.

Love your old collection Understudy. What do you listen to now?
hmmm.
Lets see what do I listen to now.
darn when did cds get so darn heavy. Screw this what is in the carry bag.
# 3 Doors Down
# Black Eyed Peas
# Black Flag
# Dave Matthews Band
# Foo Fighters
# Godsmack
# Goo Goo Dolls
# Gorillaz
# Green Day
# Gwen Stefani (No Doubt)
# Hoobastank
# Kid Rock
# Kiss
# Korn (probably one of the most underated bands out there)
# Linkin Park
# Marilyn Manson
# Mudvayne
# Nickelback
# Nine Inch Nails
# Nirvana
# Pink Floyd ( I toured with them for almost a year )
# P.O.D.
# Rage Against the Machine
# Red Hot Chili Peppers
# Shakira ( I could listen to her sing into a garden hose and enjoy it )
# Stained
# System of a Down
# The Killers
# Tool
# White Stripes
# White Zombie
# Rob Zombie
# Weezer

Some of the more obscure stuff that I could listen to constatly:
Toney Carey (Planet P project), Uriah Heep, King Crimson, Queensrych (Operation Mindcrime), Inhouse (local band that never made it and should have). Rush, Procol Harum, Mike Olfield (Tublar Bells), and some other stuff that is going to make this completely silly.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Interesting mix Brendhan. I like much (but not all) of those. Agreed about Shakira, but need to keep it PG!
smile_m_32.gif
You toured with Pink Floyd?? Doing what?

Loved their music - all 3 of their songs I heard on the radio - Heartbreak Beat, Pretty in Pink, and Love My Way. Loved New Wave and still listen to the various CD's and tapes of such. Undetsudy and I have a lot of 80's music in common! I would also toss in Blondie, Wham, Scandal, Josie Cotton, Erasure,...

Loved their music - all 3 of their songs I heard on the radio - Heartbreak Beat, Pretty in Pink, and Love My Way. Loved New Wave and still listen to the various CD's and tapes of such. Understudy and I have a lot of 80's music in common! I would also toss in Blondie, Wham, Scandal, Josie Cotton, Erasure,...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ May 07 2006,3:19)]Interesting mix Brendhan. I like much (but not all) of those. Agreed about Shakira, but need to keep it PG!
smile_m_32.gif
You toured with Pink Floyd?? Doing what?
One of the lighting techs for the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour.

It was the the last tour I did. It was probably one of the most fun, but one of the most exhausting. And that was after working on the Glass Spider tour with David Bowie and Peter Frampton. Which was just brutal. I did some individual dates again after but no more on the road.

The reason I did it is I was a poor apprentice electrician I couldn't afford to go to concerts. So what I would do is show up at 8 am and go in with my tool belt on. I usually went in with other roadies but even when I didn't go in with others I was always able to BS my way in I had the right tools for the right job. Eventually I got seen at enough of them that I would get called when acts came to Florida. I did all the Florida shows for Pink Floyd. I did shows for Huey Lewis, John Cougar, Blood Sweat and Tears (a favorite), Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult (4 concerts not one ever went right with the sound), Missing Persons, Sting, Pat Benatar (Incredible), Van Halen, Wall of Vodoo, Talking Heads, and Adam Ant. The one concert I never got to go to and wanted to was Uriah Heep. They had raised the drinking age to 21 and I was under and I tried to get in with tickets with friends and they were performing in a club that served alchool. I never got to see them with Ken Hensley.

I am sure there are more concerts I worked I use to go to one every other weekend at the Hollywood Sportatorium, Sunrise Musical Theatrer, James L . Knight center. Sometimes even Six Flags Atlantis. There were places in Orlando, Tampa, and Jax that I did also. I was young didn't need sleep and was poor. So why do this madness because I liked girls and girls liked backstage passes and I often had one of those, no money but a pass is priceless.

You worked your way into some great shows! I told my 12 yo son (into what he calls classic rock) about your touring, and thought you were part of tech crews. I'm sure he would be motivated by the same reasons that motivated you. Ah, the hormones of youth. And now, middle age--just not the same. Thanks for the details!
biggrin.gif

I used to buy beer for Wall of Voodoo, cuz they weren't old enough yet.  Which was really cute.  Long live and god bless Marc Moreland. They had a rehearsal space on Hollywood Blvd, and we'd all go the Gazzari's Crazy Horse together..or the Whiskey.  Nice guys.

My fave Furs song is "India."

Back