What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagation

Is there any way to propogate your orchids? I have two that are in bloom... One is old, the other just opened some flowers, if age matters for stigmas/anthers... Is there an asexual way??? They're both phals...

Thanks...
Greg

Ok I'll answer your questions as best I can. The age of the flowers shouldn't matter that much unless they're starting to shrivel. Do you know how to transfer the pollinia? For your next question the answer is yes. You can buy a special paste that you put on the nodes of the flower stem. This causes
them to make offshoots or keikis.

Ok... Lets go the pollen route...

How do u do this???

Umm, I really don't think you're going to be able to use the pollen.  People who do go the "pollen route" either send out the fertilized capsules to specialized labs or basically have a lab of their own.  Successful germination and growth require special media, a high degree of sterilization, and good luck.

I started to read up on it at one time and quit after a page or two - as soon as I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to devote the time and money to create the needed setup.

But, if you want to give it try:

http://www.phytotechlab.com/  (for supplies)
or http://www.monsoonflora.com (for capsule service)

Oh, well... I guess I wont do it then if its that hard... I just wanted to create more plants...

How do I create the capsules though, just out of curiosity...

Thanks loads!!!

Transferring the pollina is the same type of toothpick technique you would use on CPs. The ovary in a lot of orchids is the last bit of "stem" below the flower. When pollination is successful, the ovary swells into an (American) football-shaped capsule.

One nice thing about orchids is that the pollen is encapsulated in a jelly so that there are no loose pollen grains - and those of us with pollen allergies aren't affected.

Incidently, orchid seeds are tiny - a black dust. You've seen 'em - the black specks in Vanilla ice cream.
smile.gif

So... It's a phal, so there is the runway with two wiskers, the pedestal, then the thing that i assume contains the pollen... Is that those two little yellow things i can see thru the thing that juts out over the runway??? How do I get those capsules out? Is the pedestal the anther?

hmmm. Understand that I've never actually done this - for the reasons I've mentioned above, I never tried to get seed - but...

The tubular structure in the middle of the flower is called the column. The column contains both sets of sex organs. The yellow blobs that you see are probably the pollen. The pistil has to be exposed - the surface tissue of the column can be peeled away or sliced off, depending on individual flower structure - and the pollen blobs transferred with a toothpick.

I know that's pretty general, but like I said, I've never actually tried it. It does sound like you can destroy a lot of flowers until you get the hang of it, though.

Well, my orchids are mainly to add a splash of colour in my CPs, so I'm not sure I'm really enthused about butchering the flowers...

Thanks though...
Anymore information of creating babies asexually?

Well, you can use stem propagation.  Rather then give you an over-simplified and possibly inaccurate explanation  (I haven't tried this, either), I'll point you to a couple of articles by people with real knowledge:

http://www.orchidsource.com/GBStemPropagation.html

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/orchid_gardening/68265

Before you become completely discouraged, there's another method: inducing keikis.  This is probably the only reasonable solution for the average hobbyist.  Try this article:
http://www.orchid-guide.com/propagation/Propagation_by_keiki.htm

I've pollinated phals before.(just because I'm curious) It's actualy easy. On the front of the column is where the pollania are located, behind a little bit of tissue. There easily pulled off with some tweezers. They'll be attached to the tissue by a small glob of yellow glue. The "stigma"(its more like a little cave) is on the underside of the of the column. Remove the pollania from the tissue and transfer it into the cavity. If all goes well the cavity should "close" up over the next few days.

Tristan - did you take the process beyond pollination? Did you do anything with the pods?

Oh the pod is forming right now. I think it may be another month because they're still half the size of the pods I've seen online. I may try to TC them myself(if I have time a set-up a clean box) or I might send them off to a lab. I still haven't made up my mind.

Oh ah out of the four flowers that were pollinated only one started forming a pod.(the other ones withered away) Strange.

Back