What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating d.filiformis ssp. filliformis

Hi again,

I'm in the mood for dividing my plants
biggrin.gif

How does one propagate a D. filliformis ssp. filliformis by leaf cutting? Do I take out the whole thread and put it in peat/sand mix as in the case for D.intermedia?

Shld I cut the long thread into smaller sections? (I rem reading somethg like this in "Savage Garden" but I've since returned the book, so I'm unsure). Shld I dip the leaf into Superthrive or somethg similar? If so, how long?

Finally, can I use the threads which seem to be drying up? I've some threads which are turning brown from the top end, but the bottom half (or more) is still green. Can I use these instead of the healthy fully green ones?

Thanks very much again for any replies!
smile.gif

Simply cut the leaves into manageable sizes, I use about 2" sections. If a section looks a bit yuck, cut it off and use the rest of the leaf. Bed them into wet peat and cover with finely chopped sphagnum, covering so small sections of the leaf can still be seen. Keep warm and wet, and in about 4 weeks you should have more plants than you know what to do with
wink.gif

George

Thanks George. Wld Superthrive make a difference? I don't know where to get that locally, so I'm thinking of forgetting it altogether.

I wouldn't know if superthrive would make a difference as I have never used it, but I can say that you dont need it!!

Good luck
George

Oh, MY!  It's that easy???

I'm gonna have to give this a go, to!  Does each sections sprout one plant, or multiple plants?

Edit: Oh, yeah: Can you burry a thread that is still attached to the mother plant and get the same results?

No no its really hard!! Oh well there goes my monopoly on the world market
mad.gif

I have not tried leaving the leaf attached to the plant but would be an interesting experiment! I have also had a leaf section sprout that was broken off and left floating in the water tray.

Each section will produce multiple plants, about 1 plant per cm (2.52 plants per inch (
biggrin.gif
)). I got about 50 plants off 3 leaves...

George

LOL @ Binataboy!
biggrin.gif

Well, it looks like I WON'T be doing any leaf cuttings in the near future....I just ran into some seeds from a covetted source...
wink.gif

With any luck, I'll have several of these bad boys for trade later on in the year (both var filaformis and var tracy)!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Back