What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Progression

This is what my ceph looked like when I received it in middle October of '04

387DCP_0354-med.JPG

This is what it looks like now

387DCP_0382-med.JPG

But it still is not showing the characteristic 'teeth' that you see on most. Is it still to inmature? Or should I change something.

Different Angle

387DCP_0381-med.JPG

what conditions do you have it in?

In a small terrarium, about 80 F daytime 70F nighttime. Near 80% RH during the day and a little bit higher at night. Unknown what exactly the soil is, for I recieved it in the soil it is in. And its under fluorescent lights.

Maybe change the soil. I do not know my ceph was semi matre when I got it

I live in SE PA and am contemplating putting my Ceph outside from April 'til November. Can they take 50->90 degrees with ~20 degree day/night temp differential? Or are they best in a terarrium or window sill, open tray?

Jimscott, I've tried baking my Cephs outdoors in 100F and they refused to do just that. Instead they perked up from no leaves or pitchers (etiolated stem) to over 10 1" pitchers in just 2 months. Weird. But nice.

I don’t know if this is relevant or not, but I remember someone posting on this forum a while back that former tissue cultured cephalotus have a tendency to resort back to their juvenile stage for a period of time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Feb. 06 2005,1:09)]Jimscott, I've tried baking my Cephs outdoors in 100F and they refused to do just that. Instead they perked up from no leaves or pitchers (etiolated stem) to over 10 1" pitchers in just 2 months. Weird. But nice.
Thanks, it would appear that this is a pretty resilient plant. Outside it goes!

What size pot is that? If it's only a 2.5" pot, I would say it's doing great.

Cheers,

Joe

Yes it is quite a small pot, should I increase the size?

usually if you increase the size of the pot the plant will grow faster, Not all the time, this is geenrally a rule with sarracenia

They love deep pots. My propagated young cephs grow better in a 4 inch tall dixie cup than in a nearly similar diameter 2.5 inch pot.

Same here about the deep pots, I had to painfully eat a few pots of instant noodle to get nice deep containers to grow my Cephalotus and Drosera gigantea in.  
I repotted a Ceph I ordered recently (one plant, six growing points, 1"+ red pitchers, but no root system!!) into one of those in my usual Ceph mix of equal parts chopped live Sphagnum and perlite, with a tiny handful of peat (coarse grit at the bottom of the container).  Compared to the stagnating peat-sand mix in a shallow pot, it seems to be doing better.
smile.gif

With my plants putting them in a terrarium was the best thing I did. I had the two pots of cephs in a windowsill for almost 2 years and they always had a few pitchers here and there. The pitcher were tiny and green, only the non carnivorous leaves had a few patches of red. Now that they're in the terrarium one pot is covered with pitchers and the plant in the other pot is making mature pitchers with teeth and on top of all that they're red (just what I always wanted). Yo there is nothing more beautiful than a mature pitcher with red teeth. The only problem is my cephs don't send out any non carnivorous leaves, I kinda miss those, and I have yet to see any flowers.

I heard to make it flower you have to give it some type of dormacy during the winter so it can tell the difference in the seasons. It doesn't really have to be cold, just decrease the photo period by a few hours.

Wolfstriker,

I don't think you have to increase the pot size yet. It looks like it's filling out nicely in such a short time. I think you are doing a good job with it. It's just young.

Cheers,

Joe

Well four months later this is the same Ceph. It had about 4 different crowns. So I divided one off and potted it up separately and then potted this one back up. It seemed to enjoy getting rid of one of its crowns.

CephalotusHummersGiant.jpg

that's some crazy growth! fantastic!

Back