What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Progression

That IS a lot of growth! Congrats.

We may have to start randomly testing your plants for steroid abuse!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 06 2005,5:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Feb. 06 2005,1:09)]Jimscott, I've tried baking my Cephs outdoors in 100F and they refused to do just that. Instead they perked up from no leaves or pitchers (etiolated stem) to over 10 1" pitchers in just 2 months. Weird. But nice.
Thanks, it would appear that this is a pretty resilient plant. Outside it goes!
Jim,
I grow mine outside all summer here in NJ. While they can handle the sun, they prefer partial shade and grow better there. The ones in the pure sun are dark red and much smaller (& seem more susceptible to croaking).

From what I understand, they are usually shadowed by grasses in their natural environment.

Be extremely careful in the transition from inside to outside. I've lost more Cephalotus in that transition than I can count!
smile_h_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Mine never did go outside. It isn't growing fast, but it is growing. It does have a red crown. I took several of the winter leaves and put them in live LFS, about 6 weeks ago. I accidently severed a shoot from the main plant, that I hadn't noticed until I started pulling leaves. That, too went into the live LFS. All leaves / plant are still green, so, I know there is life.

Back