What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prematurely popping pitchers

So, as the title suggests, I've been noticing a few pitchers on what should be pretty forgiving plants ( densiflora x ventricosa in particular) have been opening too early. My plants grow in 80-90% humidity 75degree days, 50 degree nights, on a 16 hour photoperiod. Part of me thinks maybe the photoperiod is too long but I wanted to get some opinions. It's frustrating to watch a new pitcher for weeks only to have it pop before its fully developed!! Any help would be appreciated.

are they getting enough water

They definitely get enough water. I baby the hell out of these plants. They're misted several times a day and watered thoroughly every other day.

I think it might be the photoperiod. I haven't seen neps on anything longer than 14. Maybe put it to 12/12?

OK, I'm thinking that's it too. They get pretty intense light and maybe I'm pushing them too hard. Ill lower it by an hour a week.

that is very interesting... ime i get premature pops when the humidity is too low or when the plant needs more water, seems like those bases are covered though.

are you growing them in a terra? i've had experiences where lower levels of the tank were not the same as higher areas.

They are in a terrarium but I have eggcrate elevated pretty close to the lights so everyone gets the same amount. I just added a new 2 lamp t5 fixture as I begin upgrading my lighting, so now they're under 4 t8s and 2 t5s.

Does anyone else use a 16hr photoperiod successfully? The only thing I can think is that it's too long for neps and that maybe I'm pushing them too hard.

Does anyone else use a 16hr photoperiod successfully? The only thing I can think is that it's too long for neps and that maybe I'm pushing them too hard.

I do. Mine are under t8's and cfl's. I run them approx 15.5-16.5 hours a day. No complaints from the plants. For a few months I ran them even longer, also no complaints from the plants.

Hmmm, I feel like I used to have mine on 18 hrs years ago with no complaints. Maybe it was just adjusting and I'm freaking bc I'm OCD haha!

I use 18 hr as well and yea I would say low water or humidity dont baby them let them adjust

I f I was going to be gone, I used to leave mine on 24 hours a day for extended periods. Everything pitchered, a couple flowered.
I wouldn't say to do this, just offering the info for consideration.

My neps are under 16hrs photoperiod and thrive.

In my setup, when the temperature is too low day after day, the pitchers will be littles and will open too early. The leaves are shorters too.

Hope this will help u

Its not your light period. I use an 18 hour photo period because I have use t-8 lights. My northiana get picky if the humidifier runs out.

Check your roots. What kind if media are you using? I think your roots may be rotted.

Mine are on a 16 hour photoperiod under T5s and have no problems pitchering. I agree with JB that it may be the roots. If you do not have quick draining media and you are watering that frequently (every other day) with high humidity, it may cause root rot.

I think the key bit of information here is "misting several times a day." You are creating a major fluctuation in humidity that may not be consistent from day-to-day. If one pitcher has been consistently misted more than others while developing and then, perhaps, you don't hit this same pitcher quite as much or forget to mist, the lid may open prematurely. Although I mentioned humidity, the real issue is conditional changes. Almost every example of pitchers opening prematurely that I have seen result in changes of some kind, whether due to repotting, moving the plant, or abnormal fluctuations in humidity or temperature.

As JB and Don mentioned, the frequency at which you water the plants, coupled with misting and high humidity, could be causing issues with water absorption. Is there any sign of yellowing on the lamina? Do you grow your plants in an enclosure or an open area? If your plants are being kept this wet around the roots and shoot, while being kept in an enclosed system without CO2 supplementation, it is much more difficult for the plant to assimilate photosynthetic carbon and therefore pull water through the xylem tissue via transpiration. Your plant is essentially surrounded by more water than it can use and will divert its energy to more pressing issues than pitcher production.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned, were the ages of the plants. I would occasionally run into that phenomena with young plants, relatively early in the season; but, they left that phase with the arrival of longer days by June . . .

This is happening to my poor little "Cupped Trap" plant. Obviously, one or more horticultural practices is in error. You must fix it/them. Anyhow, if light is your problem, might I mention that Nepenthes generally like much less light than other carnivorous plants? The rainforests that they come from are greatly shaded by the canopy, and the only light that gets through is greatly diffused. However, if many others are having success bathing their plants with light, then something else is wrong.

Honestly I think May have been overreacting to something that was more of an exception than a common occurrence. I think the plant was adjusting to fertilization and upgraded lighting as all my plants seem to be doing well now. I think part of my CP disease is being hyper-vigilant and worrying a little bit too much. Like mato said I think it happens more when plants are adjusting, ie when a new plant arrives with a developing pitcher that opens a bit early, etc.

Good luck with it then!

Back