What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pots vs. mini bog

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Should I grow my small collection of CPs in pots, or all together in one minibog?

i put mine in minibog, because i'm sure that i wont be trading those plants away.... since it'll be a tad harder to repot if you put it in minibog.
for pot, it'll look more organized(IMO) and easier to repot and if one has pest or disease you could just move it away.
and i grow seeds in pots.... its up to you i guess..

bogs are better, so much more natural looking. Pots with one plant have no personality

It really depends on what the plant is. So I'm going to have to go with both.

how about pots in mini bog?

I used to keep mine in pots, but ended up putting them in mini-bogs for several reasons. First, I think it looks better. Second, I don't have to water as much, and lastly: It gets real hot and dry here, and having more soil around the roots in the bogs vs. the pots provides a better buffer for the plants' roots. In the pots those roots got too hot!

I used to keep mine in pots, but ended up putting them in mini-bogs for several reasons. First, I think it looks better. Second, I don't have to water as much, and lastly: It gets real hot and dry here, and having more soil around the roots in the bogs vs. the pots provides a better buffer for the plants' roots. In the pots those roots got too hot!

Same here. I lost a few Sarracenia before learning that it was their roots that were getting fried, not necessarily their leaves. You can imagine my frustration.:cuss: Minibogs are really the only way to go for Sarrs and VFTs if you live in the desert. Or else you gotta have a really big, deep tray with a lotta pure water that'll heat up and evaporate away too fast and too often anyways.:thumbdown: I've yet to grow dews in a minibog, can't wait to try them!:p

For my plants i like putting them in large plants so i can cover em up during dormency :D

Which plants? I would have Sarracenias, VFT's, and temperate sundews in a minibog and the rest in pots.

Picture169.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Do you put a couple small holes in your mini-bogs? Or none at all?

I have mine in a mini bog and it's way better. You don't have to water as much, and they have more protection from the heat and cold. Another thing is that they have room for their roots to grow and spread out better.

by mini bog dont you just mean a really big oversized pot? :-O

I guess it depends on what you're growing and if tyou realy care wich is wich. Just imagine a bog of burmanii, sessilifolia, dielsiana and others that look very very similar, all making seeds and spreading them in the bog....it's going to be a big mess trying to id them.
.....in your case ....you're probably not going to have any issues.

Back