What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pot size for a full sized vft?

What pot size do I need for a full size vft. I am interested in finding some neat pots that I could paint. I want to paint something destinctive to each breed. Like painting a red dragon on the pot for my red dragon vft. I only want to paint once. I need a potter's wheel so I can make some nice 3-d type painted glazed design pots.
biggrin.gif

Well, a full size VFT (typical variety) can get around 6" to 8" across.  So whatever a plant that size would look nice in and still be managable for dormancy.

Not sure if you know you need to glaze or seal the inside of clay or ceramic pots.  The porous nature of these containers allow them to absorb not only water but the salts and minerals disolved in the water.  Eventually they can leach back into the soil killing your VFT or other CP.

Yah, what BCK said
smile.gif
and also remember to make drainage holes and glaze the whole thing useing some stilts so the bottom is coverd too.

VFTs don't need a lot of growing room. 4-5 inches should be fine for one plants.

Well I order my plants. Ordered 2 of each from EG. I'm not sure if the have Red Dragon bulbs. I emailed them asking if they had any on hand. Anyway, six plants should get me going. I decided to plant two plants per pot. In case one bulb does not make it. This should get me started full steam. I think I'm addicted already.
biggrin.gif

I'm going to check pricing for a potter wheel and a kiln for pot making.

Back