What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Office

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
G

I recieved 2 VFT seedlings in the mail and it looks like the box was beat up pretty well. The VFTs took a beating as well.. alot of traps were broken off and 2 of the 4 remaining ones are turning black. Is there anything special I should do to help them? Should I trim off the black traps?

I also found that the Post Office does absolutely no justice to the plants (other than just getting them to their destination)!!!
When I received mine, I was also disappointed, but there was hope!!! There were new sprouts emerging!!!
Unfortunatley I lost most of the leaves and traps that were already grown in, but I gave my vft lotsa TLC, and it is beautiful!!!
I'm sure with patience, and lotsa TLC, yours will do fine!!!
They just need to adapt to their new environment, and need some time to recover from the "Post Office SHOCK."
Hope this helped!!!
tounge.gif

OOps..........
Forgot to metion that I did not cut mine back.
I just let them die naturally, as they do in the wild.
When the leaves and traps are TOTALLY black AND they have wilted all the way to the soil, then I take a pair of tweezers and pluck them out from the base.

I would cut the dead trap off leaving the healthy leaf alone.  Cutting of the dead trap may help extend the life of the remaining leaf so it can continue making food for the plant.  Plus, the plant looks better without the dead trap dangling off the end of an otherwise healthy leaf.

That's my nickles worth (danged inflation
wink.gif
).

Thanks for the advice guys
smile.gif

Should I buy Superthrive or something to help them along? Does that stuff really work?

Back