What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poison dart frogs

For all you owners out there, what plants besides bromeliads can you put in the fish tanks for the the dart frogs? Thanks.

A lot of the tropical plants you can put in the tanks. I use some plants called pepperomia's, pothos ( devil's ivy ) is a common plant that is very easy to use. You can use several different orchids, even some cps, such as N. Amp, and spiderplant those very well, and any other inch plants.

ferns near a water sorce are nice.

Fancy moss makes stuff look lush and ancient.

blaaah... I picked a bunch of "supposedly" tropical plants for my vivarium... alocasia like, most of them, with some bromeliads... THEY'RE ALL GOING DORMANT!!!!
mad.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
and the vivarium looks like a mess, dead leaves all over the place (im pretty sure theyre not just dieing... but im gonna transfer the frogs into a little 3 gallon one of these days and re-do the whole thing, plants and all...

All?

Moss is nice, like a green patch of about 5 species yanked from the lawn. Its interesting because i have lichen growing on the glass sides... its obscuring my vision of the interior

can we get a pic of that finch? sounds awesome!

wow... lichen growing on glass? how long have you had it???!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 20 2004,7:07)]wow... lichen growing on glass? how long have you had it???!
Whats lichen?
confused.gif

Lichen is made up of algae and fungi

Another thumbs up on the moss suggestion.
smilie4.gif
Moss looks great when used in conjunction with a cork/treefern background and a big gnarked log. The creeping moss looks the best(trust me).

If you need other plants, try a Banyan Ficus. They look cool with there aerial roots dangleing down and the leaves are like tiny platforms for the darts to sit on(smaller species).
SmallAuratus.jpg

I dont have a camera that uplods picttures to the computer. I would provide pictures and have a avitar of my birds if i did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wow... lichen growing on glass? how long have you had it???!

oh atleast 10 years. i cant tell the species. On one corner, theres a vibrant orange lichen (it has veeeeerrry slowly spread from a lose rock taken from the south-facing side of a large rock outcroping. bigest glass patch.. about the size of my pinky nail.)

The other on the front is a greyish-white lichen, probably the most abundant one in the area... altough i dont want to im thnkng of scraping it off...

I have tried a rotting peice of wood with Soldier licen on it in the terrarium floor, but its not faring very well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Whats lichen?
Lichen is actually 2 creatures in a symbyotic relationship [fungi and alge]
Amoung the first lifeforms to cover barren areas, they grow on rocks and rotting wood, and live trees.

i dont use chemical or tap water on them because it causes diebacks.

One more thing, can you feed poison dart frogs just fruit flies?

what would you feed a poison dart frog in general?

climbing moss?
is there a specific name for it that I can look up?

and I'm looking for small.. air ferns maybe?

air ferns aren't plants. they're the dried up and dyed "skeletons" of bryozoans. (if you go to the index in the site I gave you and ctr+F and type "air fern" it'll give you an article)

maybe i meant air plants?
the ones i see online are living :/

and what frog is in that picture? its pretty

Back