What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help id this plant

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
Hello, I just found this huge plant at a local nursery and of course had to buy it!!! Here is a pic of the whole plant:
p_Nepenthes_unknown5.jpg

and here is a shot of the pitchers:
p_Nepenthes_unknown2.jpg

It was even sold in a sphagnum-lined wire basket; the grower obviously knows Nepenthes. Any ideas as to what it is?

Looks like a form of maxima in upper stage to me. Superba or curtisii or something. I'll go look for pics of those ones.

-D. Lybrand

Wow Ludwig, what kind of nurseries do you have around your house? I NEVER see Neps of that size in my town.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 21 2006,1:16)]Wow Ludwig, what kind of nurseries do you have around your house? I NEVER see Neps of that size in my town.
Luckily, there is a guy that works at a local specialty nursery who actually built a CP bog at his nursery and he calls me whenever Nepenthes are available. He has a Sarracenia garden at this nursery about 6 feet square, and even has pygmies and all sorts of pings too.

I need to have a nursery like that near me! Oh well, looks like I'll have to stick to internet ordering...

By the way, how much did you pay for that Nep?

Is that a N. Truncata in the background?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (eplants02 @ Feb. 21 2006,1:22)]Is that a N. Truncata in the background?
Yes, on the side I have 1 pure truncata and a few truncata hybrids as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 21 2006,1:21)]By the way, how much did you pay for that Nep?
$30

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 21 2006,1:16)]Wow Ludwig, what kind of nurseries do you have around your house? I NEVER see Neps of that size in my town.
I thought people might be interested in SoCal CP attractions:

http://sdcps.com/bog.htm

ludwig: could they be N.x miranda uppers?

Thanks for that info Ludwig. I'm actually going to the San Diego Zoo in a few weeks. I'll be sure to check out their CPs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 21 2006,2:05)]ludwig: could they be N.x miranda uppers?
I do not have any idea what it is at this point...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 21 2006,2:49)]Thanks for that info Ludwig. I'm actually going to the San Diego Zoo in a few weeks. I'll be sure to check out their CPs!
Yeah, some plants will still be dormant but they do a good job keeping some interest in the off-season...if you ever get a chance to come to San Diego in the summertime, it is a spectacular garden to see.

I think glider might be right. Also might be maxima var. 'green'.

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Feb. 20 2006,6:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 21 2006,2:49)]Thanks for that info Ludwig. I'm actually going to the San Diego Zoo in a few weeks. I'll be sure to check out their CPs!
Yeah, some plants will still be dormant but they do a good job keeping some interest in the off-season...if you ever get a chance to come to San Diego in the summertime, it is a spectacular garden to see.
Oh I'll be there in the summer time too. My girlfriend lives there and I visit her pretty often.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Feb. 21 2006,7:13)]I think glider might be right. Also might be maxima var. 'green'.

-D. Lybrand
Thanks for helping to ID it...I have something to go by now.
Ludwig

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Luckily, there is a guy that works at a local specialty nursery who actually built a CP bog at his nursery and he calls me whenever Nepenthes are available. He has a Sarracenia garden at this nursery about 6 feet square, and even has pygmies and all sorts of pings too.
Hey ludwig, I think I know that nursery. Is it Walter Anderson nursery up in Poway? I know the CP guy there too. That's the best nursery around. I have a few neps from there also.
To all the folks out there not from this area, this nursery went all out and built a model railroad there with all kinds of ecosystems and plant species. one section of the railroad has the CP bog with the sarrs and VFT's, etc. Definetely worth checking out if visiting S.D.
Here is a link to their site Walter Anderson nursery

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Feb. 20 2006,10:13)]I think glider might be right. Also might be maxima var. 'green'.

-D. Lybrand
haha score for glider!!!! *marks another tally*

Back