What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plants

hi i know this is a bit early but i am leaving to NY on June 14 2008 and will return on June 22 2008 and no body i repeat no body can take care of my plants( my grandma can but see doesn't know how to mist and she doesn't speak english) they are windowsill plants and they are healthy so far. will they go into shock? how do i water them? light is easy, they will probaly get more light than i give them. please tell me if i am missing any info. also what are some great cp places to visit?

Really, all ya need to do is instruct your grandmother to water with store bought distilled water and do it when the the containers are dry, which will be like every few days. Other than that.... leave 'em alone!

What are they? Some might not notice you're gone. By the way, when I have to leave my plants for a while, I move them out of the sun to reduce stress.

You could get an ultrasonic humidifier to run next to them - that will supply a more reliable humidity source then misting which, unless you're misting into a closed terrarium, is only a 15 minute solution to a 24 hour problem . You'll have to make sure she understands how to fill the humidifier and that it needs to stay running until you get back. Most any CPs that's not a Nep should be able to sit in a tray of water until you get back - then you can tell her if the tray dries up just fill it back up.

for cp's other than neps you can just make a simple bubbler connected to a tray...that will keep your water level constant

Back