What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting some in non native area

• Thread starter pasoftim
  • Start date
Hi all
I Put some spagnum moss live and shreeded in an area that gets water near a creek near me called penny pack it is an area that gets runn off from rain but has okay drainage and stays moist most of the time.. VFT and some little sundews it is off the beaten trail so people wont disturb them.. it would be kool to see if the adapt to this!!!!

Tim,
This was done in the 30's at a place call Hosford, FL with vft. They have naturalized beautifully so much so that many researchers thought they had found an undiscovered pocket. Good luck that may mean the survival of CPs in the 'wild', botanical zoos on protected lands.

Here is the site the photos are on

http://www.geocities.com/pitcherplants/

Hi Sarraceniaobsessed
This place is in Philadelphia Pa that im trying this it is not a bog but it is very moist most of the time ... it gets about 7 hours of sun than partial shade!! I put about a bushle of the mix of soil together an dug out a spot... Ill take a pict of the place when i get back from vacation Was also thinking of purple pitchers in it to !!!!!!!
Jim

Pas,
It'll be interesting to see if they survive through the PA winter. Especially if the east coast has a winter like the last one (I really hope not)!
Purpureas will most likely survive the winter, because they are a very cold hearty species (especially ssp purpurea), and there are several cold hearty dews, too....What kinds of 'dews did you plant?

Please don't start planting out plants in the wild, CPs or not. These probably won't do much harm, but introduced plant species do immense damage globally and it can be very difficult/impossible to remove them later. Sarracenia purpurea is spreading in Irish bogs, and could begin to displace native plants, including CPs, so best keep them in cultivation. It can be very difficult to tell in advance which species are going to cause problems, so best not to risk it at all.

Giles

In the last few years, I heard or read about some VFTs being naturalized in New Jersey, so naturalizing them in the Philadelphia area is not an outlandish idea.

I do share Giles' concern about introducing non-native species, but introducing a plant only a few hundred miles beyond it's native range is much less of a threat than the example of introducing Sarracenias across the Atlantic. Plus, VFTs don't seem to be a very competitive species. It's reasonable to assume bird feet and feathers carry at least a little bit of VFT seed up and down the east coast of the US, yet the plants remain in a pretty restricted area.

I don't allow blooms to remain on my S. purpurea var. venosa, for fear of having pollen from this southern adapted variety to contaminate the local gene pool. Even though it's a long distance to the closest S. purpurea var. purpurea, it would be wrong to risk it. This reminds me, by the way, that I've been intending to list it in PFT's trade page. I suppose it's only a small step from that to trading all my other Sarrs
confused.gif
, but I won't go that far.

You should never relocate a non-native species into a habitat. No matter what. You never know what a plant will do once it's introduced. There are some non-native plants that are destroying cp habitats. Just do a search on purple loosestrife. It's starting to take over alot of wetlands.
I have no problem with planting some plants on your own property. I have vft's and alot of other cp's in my back yard, but I know that without some assistance from me they would never survive on their own. There is no way that they could turn into an invasive species.
Most cp's compete for space in bogs and cp's almost always loose the battle. You could plant most species of cp's without worry almost anywhere. Even if the plant survived a few years, they would almost always be choked out by other species. I'm not saying you can plant cp's anywhere. If you don't know what you're doing then please don't do anything.

Hi guys,
while I share your trepidation to introducing species to non-native habitats, I think that VFT's (for reasons mentioned) aren't a threat.
I also think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Pasoftim intends to monitor the area. If that's not the case, I would swing back to being wary....

Hi all
Yep going to check on them and see thier progrress.. This is just to see if they would survive in Philly... It is kinda neat to see if they would grow near a creek that preety wild with lots of weeds but found a place that si not to over grown and wet most of the time and humid.. Im sorry if I aggitated anyone with this but it will be watched and if they grow in such a place ( most is not kept up to well) and to show my son something beautiful growing and turning an area that is kinda not nice into something kool is worth this

Jim

I don't think that you aggitated anybody here about you planting vft's. Vft's are such a low risk plant that it's unimagiable that it could ever become an invasive species.
Here's a couple of helpful tips.
This winter cover them with pine straw. Don't use hay or plastic.
In the spring uncover them. If possiable and safe you can burn the straw off the plants.

Please get us updated on how it comes out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Most cp's compete for space in bogs and cp's almost always loose the battle. You could plant most species of cp's without worry almost anywhere.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

On the contrary, many CPs do well in bogs - if they didn't, they wouldn't be there in the first place. I think Sarracenia purpurea has the potential to spread aggressively in Irish bogs - when the conditions suit it it can multiply very fast, and I wouldn't like to see it introduced outside its native range. I think U. inflata has been introduced into lakes in Washington state, where it is making itself a right nuisance. Just because they're CP, doesn't mean they can't be invasive in the right conditions. I agree VFTs are unlikely to cause much harm, but other species could.

Giles

Back