What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

planting Drosera seeds

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to plant Drosera Spathulata seeds? Should I try to get them out of the little black seed pods or plant the whole thing?

Should I let the seeds sit for a while or plant them whenever?

How deep in the dirt? Should I use a mix of Spagnum moss and sand? or will peat work?

thanks

Hold a peice of white paper under the seed pod and shake out the seeds. Scatter the seeds over a mix of peat/sand. The soil doesnt need to be deep if you are going to move the seeds when they get bigger, but it should be atleast 1inch deep.

if u wanna store em, place them in a paper container and place in the refridge.

I fold a groove in a sheet of paper and tap the seeds onto the medium slowly down the groove, rolling one off at a time. Keep the paper moving or you will end up with a million plants in the center of the pot in a clump. Remember each seed is a potential plant and don't sow too many in one pot. I use 50/50 peat/sand, but others claim better success with milled dead sphagnum moss. Although I don't doubt that this is true, I find my success with the peat/sand adequate for my needs. Seeds in short supply, or that are very rare would probably be better sown in the milled moss.

Since I have sent out a lot of seed lately, I thought I would repost these instructions as well.

The seed has been stratified in my fridge, so it is ready to sow. what you want is a fairly loose medium for the small roots to penetrate, which is why I recommend peat/silica sand 50/50. If you plan on transplanting after the seedlings develop a little, then pure peat is an option, as is milled dead sphagnum moss. Both these substrates have natural antiseptic qualities, and they also discourage fungus and algae. Algae can interfere with germination, and competes with the seedlings. You should however aim at getting them into their permanent homes in a good 50/50 mix as stated after they form 4-5 leaves. Remember to be patient: this seed can take awhile to germinate, usually in about a month you should see some results. Don't water or spray from the top as this can bury the seed. Give it warmth, but light levels should not be high until there is germination: too much light will support algal growth. Check the pots weekly, and when you can see germination, move the pots into good bright light, no direct sun. Humidity should be reduced in stages, slowly, after germination. If the pots are in baggies, poke a hole or two after you are sure all the seed has germinated. Then in a week a couple of more. Ideally you will be able to do away with the cover in a month or so. Be attentive to what the seedlings tell you, but expect some to die off in the process. The survivors will be adapted to harsher conditions, and will be healthier than plants grown in too high a humidity. 70% is about ideal for these plants, but they will take lower levels if they are adapted to them over time. It is fascinating to watch the growth process, and I consider growing from seed to be one of the finest aspects of this hobby. Enjoy!

Tamlin,

I assume that you perform a dry stratification method instead of a wet one. I have heard that better germination ratio occurs for wet stratification. How has the situation been in your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Back