What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting a green roof

At Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (USDA Zone 5), where I work, there is an information kiosk with a wooden shingled roof. I am going to plant it and am wondering if anyone had had experience doing this type of project. It's about a 45 degree slope, so I plan to place a layer of Promix (perhaps mix in some of those polymer granules that soak up water) with a layer of live sphagnum moss over that to help hold the potting mix in place. I will then put a sheet of that black plastic mesh netting over the entire surface and fasten it down on the edges. I'll cut holes in the mesh where I want to insert plants. Since this may only receive water when it rains, I need to select drought-resistant plants. Sedums, sempervivums, other succulents and chives have been recommended.

Can anyone make offer any suggestions or make any recommendations? Also, can anyone recommend a source for inexpensive succulents?

Many thanks,

John

The only info I've ever seen about green rooves is with sod rooves in the Midwest during colonial times. Mainly just thick, heavy grasses... But it sounds like you have a decent plan. Chives and such could grow right through mesh if it isn't too fine.

hen and chicks can go a while with out water...and are pretty hardy

thanks

Brad

Chives seem to be a common plant used for green roofs. The Philadelphia Fencing Acadamy has a lovely green roof. Hens and Chicks (Sepervivum) seem also to be a good choice. I want to use a few of the sedums that trail so they will look as if they are dripping off of the roof.

April, I had already seen that website...there is a LOT there and it's a bit overwhelming, but I was able to extract some useful tidbts. If anyone knows a source for inexpensive Hens and Chicks (Sempervivum)...please let me know. It matters not if they are named.

Thanks,

John

Maybe String of Pearls? I don't know what the latin name is, but it's a pretty drought tolerant trailing vine with little succulent leaves that are spherical or oblong in shape.
~Joe

Back