What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plant

Hi many months ago i was given a small cutting. It is a very robust plant that will keep on flowering . It loves the sun.I also have made many cuttings into small pot and all have taken roots. But i don't know the name for it and if it is a local plant.

The flower
DSC_9742alt.jpg

mature plant planted together with spathoglottis sp ( colour-pink)
DSC_9745alt.jpg

some young plants
DSC_9750alt.jpg

Thanks in advance..Robert
smile.gif

It is a member of the Iris family. No idea which type though.

I think that's what a co-worker of mine calls "Walking Iris" and he tends to be right about such things.

<span style='color:teal'>Hello  
smile.gif

Yes, indeed, it is what is commonly named as Walking Iris, it is part of the Iris group and it is also known as Tropical Iris. It's formal name is Neomarica longifolia.

It porduces flowers from late, late Winter, almost early Spring to early Fall. If its flowers are pollinated the ovary in that pollinated flower will start to porduce seeds, but most of the time these seeds never mature and if they get to mature most of the time they are steriles.

If the flowers is not pollinated it will porduce a new plantlet from each faded flower. Since this plant produce a sucession of flowers for each flower stalk, by late Summer or early Fall it will have its flower stalks full of new plantlets hanging. You can divide these plantlets and then you will have countless new plants. Or you can do what you did, just divide plants from the rhizomes.

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

...this plant produce a sucession of flowers for each flower stalk, by late Summer or early Fall it will have its flower stalks full of new plantlets hanging. You can divide these plantlets and then you will have countless new plant...

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

thanks for the input. My young plants are derived according to your explaination,but without me knowing if it's the right way.  I was only trying, and surprise, after 5 weeks roots were coming out the bottom of the pot  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Robert

<span style='color:teal'>Hello Robert!  
smile.gif

Well then prepare yourself to have your place invaded by these plants, they are really prolific and beautiful
smile_m_32.gif

You will really enjoy them. If you plant them in the ground they can be spread rapidly and sometimes they can be a little invasive. But you can control this by dividing  
smile_m_32.gif

Enjoy...
smilie4.gif

Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Thanks JJ , if no other plant can invade let them:D .thanks for all the info.

Robert

<span style='color:teal'>Your are very welcome
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Back