What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Shelf v3.0

• Thread starter MrFlyTrap2
  • Start date

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Well I think that I have marked the end of my latest set of enhancements to my grow shelf.

First it started off as the pics in my introduction...
Intro Post

Then I experimented with adding Mylar and got a lot of new growth out of my plants. But this summer I added a bunch of new stuff.

This is what it's looking like right now. Each shelf is about 11.5 cubic feet of growing space.
PlantShelfv3_1.JPG

Side view showing the stiff backing of the Mylar wrap around, new sliding glass doors, breading tanks have been moved to the second shelf. 2 light fixtures hide underneath each lip of the previous shelf.
PlantShelfv3_2.JPG

The upper view of the CP shelf, Nepenthes sit in the container that works to provide humidity for the shelf. In the winter a submersible heater will provide the highland conditions. Other CP's, vft's, sundews, etc sit to the left of the tray.
PlantShelfv3_3.JPG

The Nepenthes tray fogs every hour, sending mist up from the bottom.
PlantShelfv3_4.JPG

A low and high rail has been routed with 3 groves to provide tracks. 3 glass panels can slide back and forth among the enclosure. The gaps provide some air movement, but also let bugs in attracted by the light, but can't find their way out as well.
PlantShelfv3_5.JPG

A small blower going down forces the mist below up through the panel, creating a really neat effect. The ultrasonic mister sits below that blue spot.
PlantShelfv3_6.JPG

There's a little extra room in front that I use to keep plants plants that are ill or need special attention separate from the rest of the group. Currently looking at some bugs crawling around on my Adelea. (looks like they are gone btw!)
PlantShelfv3_7.JPG

One of the planted tanks getting ready for a go at Aldrovanda. One tank breeds feeder guppies, the other is ready for some guests.
PlantShelfv3_8.JPG

This was an idea that I've been working on for a while, and really pleased how it turned out. In the first version it was really difficult to work on the tanks properly without hitting the lights above. So I put the tanks on a custom shelf with heavy duty sliders. The shelf has been tested to over 200 pounds so far fully extended.
PlantShelfv3_9.JPG

A little shot of my 'garbage fun tray.'
PlantShelfv3_10.JPG

Well I hit the 10 pic limit, it's been fun so far and I'm happy with the setup for the time being. 8)

Sadly my Nepenthes are really really mad at me for the moment, during the transition of growing 'outside the tank' I had a very difficult time providing proper humidity while the mister was being shipped. Plus we had really nasty hot weather last week and the setup was in the upper 80's. But now it's all working and I hope that they like their new upgrades.

I hope this gives out some ideas.
Nate

Okay just one more...

A 'night time' view of the Nepenthes getting fogged.
PlantShelfv3_night.JPG

Nate

Were you the one wanting some Aldrovanda? If so, I'm ready to send it (your tank looks fine to me, my setup was only set up for 24 hours before I added the plants). If not, sorry for the mistake!

I love the sliding glass doors! Only recommendation I have is more light!

Yup you're waiting for the DVD I have on the way.

Oh yeah, there was some other dude wanting some for N. gymnamphora and mylar.
If that person reads this, please PM meh because my memory is squat.

I can't wait for that DVD! I've been wanting to see that movie for years :)

That glass door is really good, I'm serious lol.

fabulous dude. WOW.. .those conditions wouldn't go unrewarded. Your CP's will show how much they love it. I can already imagine how wicked your neps will look. Fantastic.:) You got to teach me how to make me a nice nep setup. ;)

wow thats really nice. I'm particularly interested in your Aldrovanda setup.

Back