What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its been probably about 4-5 years since Ive posted any plant pics. (yea im a slacker) ;^)

About a month ago i finally was able to expand my growing room to the point of being able to get a camera in there and take some decent pictures! (its still crowded) but at least now i can move around without fear of being stangled by a stray nep vine

Anyway, here's a bunch my plant pics,..

Im going to start out with one of my favorites..

EP's lowii x ventricosa red

lowii_x_ventricosa_red_web.jpg

heres a cluster of pitchers on the same plant, there's also a vent x TM pitcher wedged in the middle of them.

lowii_x_ventricosa_group_we.jpg

heres another favorite and a similar but slightly more colorful plant, 'Peter D’Amato' [ventricosa x lowii]

My Peter D' is still a small plant but it seems to grow for me about the same as Ep's lowii x vent

Peter-DAmato.jpg

Now for something completely different,.. the odd looking spathulata x ampullaria-Straits (b)

spathulata_x_ampullaria-Str.jpg

ampullaria doesn't do well for me over the cold winters (and i really like amps) so Ive made due with amp like hybrids like the above and the next plant, N. 'Ron Determan which is ampullaria x alata

NRon_Determan_web.jpg

If you like tubby and green this is the one for you, lol

NRon_Determan2_web.jpg

After repotting last year my Dyneriana is finally putting out nice big pitchers

Dyneriana_web.jpg

My copper colored eymae x veitchii

eymae_x_veitchii_web.jpg

The easy growing sibuyanensis x maxima(l) (i really love this plant)

sibuyanensis_x_maximal_we.jpg

sibuyanensis_x_maximal2_w.jpg

one of the most colorful "weeds" ever created :), tobaica-purple x thorelii-squat

tobaica-purple_x_thorelii-s.jpg

the always vivid spectabilis x veitchii

spectabilis_x_veitchii_web-1.jpg

I got this Mixta back in 1998, I was told that its actually a cutting of the Mixta pictured in the savage garden.

Mixta1_web.jpg

Mixta2_web.jpg

Another wonderful (big) weed, truncata x ventricosa

truncata_x_ventricosa_web.jpg

My Bical, (when i got this plant, the leafspan was about 2 inches across)

bical1_web.jpg

bical2_web.jpg

The strange, easy to grow, and nearly fangless bicalcarata x maxima

bicalcarata_maxima.jpg

My very first nepenthes, wrigleyana, I got this one back in 1996 along with a ventrata. At the time i was growing them both in a warm windowsill above a radiator in the apartment i lived in,..within a month the ventratas pitchers all shriveled up and it never did a thing for me aside from grow nice healthy pitcherless leaves, the wrigleyana however put out a nice colorful pitcher on every leaf and continued to grow happily for me (i was hooked on neps after that) so for a beginners plant id recommend wrigleyanna over ventrata!,..haha

wrigleyana.jpg

I have two different seed grown plants of Rokko Exotica and they look completely different, this is my fave, its has very dark purple spotted aristo like pitchers and its also a female and currently in flower,... (if anyone has any males in flower please let me know, ill gladly split the seeds 50/50, this plant always puts out a large flower spike).... besides, shes a pretty girl and not picky, lol

Rokko_Exotica.jpg

and lastly my lowland Truncata is finally starting to get some size to it. It was about a foot across back in 04 when It barely survived a greenhouse freeze, I'm sure if it hadn't been set back it would probably be much larger by now.

truncata_web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic Nepenthes! :D I really gotta love the sib x maxima and rokko exotica.

My parents live a few hours north of you. They have a natural gas well and grow a few neps in their greenhouse. Do you grow everything under grow lights? Your plants are amazing!

Fantastic Nepenthes! :D I really gotta love the sib x maxima and rokko exotica.

Thanks :) , both of those hybrids are must haves, aside from being really beautiful plants they are both very easy fast growers and seem to be tolerant of cool and warm temps.

My parents live a few hours north of you. They have a natural gas well and grow a few neps in their greenhouse. Do you grow everything under grow lights? Your plants are amazing!

Thank you, and oh wow, thats cool about your parents GH (and i thought i was the only person growing neps in WV) ;-)

I used to grow my plants in a greenhouse when i lived in Pittsburgh (the heating bills were outrageous in the winter), but when i moved to WV i didn't have time to set one up so i got a bunch of metal racks and a couple banks of T5 florescents, sectioned off area of the basement with plastic, the plants seem to love it so Ive been growing that way since.
I think I actually prefer growing under lights because during the winter i never have to worry about power failures, or heater malfunctions, and in this climate my basement naturally stays at intermediate temps so its far less expensive than heating/cooling a GH.

love the lowii hybrids

Your plants look fantastic. Thanks for posting! So with mature plants like yours, do you just keep the lights up on the ceiling? Or just cut your plants down?

yea my ventratas pretty big but its not putting out pitchers.

it put out a couple basals with pitchers but... iono ? :p wierd

love the lowii hybrids

Thanks, lowii is my fave species, my conditions arent cool enough to grow it so i grow the easier lowii like hybrids :)

Your plants look fantastic. Thanks for posting! So with mature plants like yours, do you just keep the lights up on the ceiling? Or just cut your plants down?

Thanks nightsky, I keep most of my lights high on the ceiling, because the T5s are allot brighter than standard florescents so they don't have to be quite as close to the plants. I have 2, 4 bulb fixtures and 4, 2 bulb fixtures plus 6, T8 fixtures. When the plants eventually grow up and hit the ceiling i either cut them back or i bend the stem so that they grow along the roof of my enclosure, I have a sanguinea (d) that i was trying to get to flower so i bent to grow around the top of my grow room, it was probably around 12 feet but i finally got tired of smacking my head on it when i watered so i finally cut it back. haha,

Hopefully someday ill get that thing to flower.. ;-)

yea my ventratas pretty big but its not putting out pitchers. it put out a couple basals with pitchers but... iono ? :p wierd

Ventrata seems to like allot of light, and of course humidity, I think the reason why mine never did well for me as a windowsill plant was lack of light, the place where i lived at the time only had north facing windows (shaded by trees). wrigleyana is a bit more tolerant of lower light so luckily it did just fine for me

Donn,

Thanks for sharing; they are just beautiful! Now I have to clean the drool out of my keyboard....

Wowser powser!

Gorgeous plants!!!
I love the EP lowii x ventricosa! And a quick little correction on one, your peter d' amato is of the xBriggsiana grex, so its ventricosa x lowii. :) EP did the reverse.
I absolutely love the color displayed in your neps, I can't grow lowlanders to save my life...only intermediate - ultrahighland lol. Thanks for sharing :)

Gorgeous plants!!!
I love the EP lowii x ventricosa! And a quick little correction on one, your peter d' amato is of the xBriggsiana grex, so its ventricosa x lowii. :) EP did the reverse.
I absolutely love the color displayed in your neps, I can't grow lowlanders to save my life...only intermediate - ultrahighland lol. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks allot SirKristoff,.. i made that correction to my post (ill be modifying my plant label as well), I envy you because i really wish i could grow highlanders :)

Thanks donn :)
Gotta love living in an area suited for that sort of thing...I'm trying a couple lowlanders, but I just can't seem to keep them happy...I need to find some bical intermediate hybrids and do what you are doing with amp hybrids lol!

Back