What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitures dry up and die every time a

fre8train

BANNED
I cant figure this out its been hapening ever sence I got my neps. I keep them in a small greenhouse because I thought the air was too dry but it still happens in a very high humidity. I planted the plants rootball and all the medieum it came in in a larger pot about the size of a six inch pot full of spagnum. I put a saucer under the pot to let it sit in water but it has not done anything to help hydrate these trying pitures.

thanks Joe

Joe,

A few questions that might help to give you some suggestions:

Specifically what is the humidity range?
Temperature range?
What about light?  Artificial? Natural? Direct/indirect?  How many ours?
What are you watering with?

There are loads of other possible questions but these might narrow it down a bit.

Aaron.

The humidity is always high due to a fan at the bottom blowing waves across the bottom of the greenhouse.  I dont know what the actual humidity is but the air feels thick when I put my hand inside the small four tier greenhouse which sits under the skylight in my home.  The average tempature is 69 to 72 degrees which is the same as my home.  I use pure Ro water

Hmm.. Nepenthes don't need to sit in water. Good chance of rotting them if they stay waterlogged.

Also wondering if your supplimenting light or is it just getting light from the skylight?

Would like a clarification also since I don't fully understand the problem. The undeveloped tendrils drying up? Or are the pitchers forming fully then drying up??

Tony

--completely developed and drying up after another pitcher developes. Drying out from the top down.
--only the sunlight
--

Are you saying the pitchers dry up right after they open? Or the pitchers last for a while and then dry up?

Pitchers don't last forever. Some neps keep their pitchers longer than others. So what you're seeing might be just the natural dying off of older pitchers.

My 2-cents.
smile.gif

If I read it right it sounds like you said a fan in there and that it is a 4 tier shelving type. If this is right perhaps the wind is drying them out, too good of circulation is very dehydrating. Even in very wet environments high winds will dry up humidity and standing water pretty quickly.

Joe

Back