What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers of n. truncata

Hey all,
I was wondering how long does the pitchers of N. Truncata last? Just wondering
confused.gif
because everytime my plant produces a new trap, the previous trap starts to die.
sad.gif

Hey Eplants,
I made the mistake of over-feeding the pitcher on my truncata, and it started to go brown.....Now a new pitcher is forming. I wonder if it isn't the other way around, that the dying pitcher triggers the new formation?
confused.gif

Under the best conditions, I'd say a pitcher would last about three months, although I'm probably wrong.
sad.gif

I still have the pitcher that came on my truncata from last November. (a year ago). The top portion on the pitcher generally die first and the lower portion is alive quite long. I have a new pitcher coming right now at the moment. Keep in mind that truncata is a bit slower than most lowland nepenthes and generally pitchers are slow formers if your palnt is big. My pitchers take a long while to descend fomr the leaf, swell, and open then it takes a while for the fluted large wavy peristome to unfurl fully.

eplants, i got a new leaf that is still curled up that just popped out of the center of the plant yesterday. so if ya want i will let ya know when it is totally formed from today 12/26/02 - ? lets see how long it takes it to totally form leaf and pitcher.

The pitchers last a long time but N. truncata is one of the slowest plants I have, right next to N. lowii. If I count time between leaf and pitcher inflation, truncata is faster than lowii but only a little.

Yeah sure George. That will be great.
smile.gif

Also keep in mind generally, large plants are much slower than small plants....large palnts have large leaves which take some time to develope before they can start to be deployed by the plant, it is a larger cell area to grow with in a smaller plant, growth will generally be much faster as the smaller cell area to grow and less time waiting for the leaf to be deployed. And also, just because a plant isn't a fast grower is might be a slow pitchering plant, so don't expect pitchers in a week from a Truncata, give it time to inflate the buds.

heck if any of the plants put out a leaf and pitcher w/ in a week i would like to know. none of the ones i have had done so that i can think of

George, no kidding! The closed any of mine come to a week would have to be from Nep G.'s namesake. They're in the neighborhood of 10 days to 2 weeks.

schloaty, N.gracilis is a fast grower but, really never paid attention on how fast it does put out growth. the one cutting i got goes back and forth into shock due to a bunch of stuff. like changing soil mix, being knocked over 2-3 times and other stuff. so at least now i don't have to worry about it falling over caused i moved it to a diff. spot in the porch. it is slow at rooting thu. i have tried it in just water like i read it could but, it kept it alive but never grew any.

Hi,

lowland N. truncata pitchers do stay fully functional about four to six months after opening. This depends on growth conditions not feeding (Of course overfeeding will cause the pitcher to rot). After this time the lid and upper half of the pitchers do die back. The lower still functional half will last more than a year. My highland N. truncata is too young to tell pitcher life cycles yet.

Joachim

There maybe a clone of truncata that seems to have this behavior. I saw one years ago at a friend's place, and he remarked that it only sports one pitcher at a time. Didn't think much about it, but I have heard several people make such comments.

Regards,

Joe

Back