What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers being munched

It seems that some form of insect is munching the newly forming pitchers on a few of my sarrs. Seems it only likes the new pitchers. Some it just chews holes it and others it chews the whole top off, thus messing up the whole pitcher. I have looked many times and have not seen anything chewing on them. Any ideas on what might be eating my sarr's and what I might be able to do about it?

It could be that moth larvae that I have seen mentioned several times in this forum. Other insects could be grasshoppers, bagworms or snails/slugs ( which techinally aren't insects :p)

I think it maybe a squirrel...

The same thing is happening to me as we speak.

Flava thrashed open, crushed Judith Hindle and Minor, holes in Purpurea.

Hm, I know this is a bit of an older topic,and while I can't offer any information that is excessively helpful, I've experienced this recently as well and on two occasions I've found a tiny little worm. They look kind of like an inch worm. Like you said, they like eating the new growth, thus screwing up the entire pitcher. I've been having holes in few pitchers, but I think that's an independent problem.
Does this sound plausible for your case, or do you think it's something different?

Just spray with insecticide. With any luck, whatever it is will disappear then.

Back