What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pitcher smell

GAH!!

I just went to my shadehouse, and I almost didn't come back alive!!
wow.gif

There's a stench in there, but it's not the normal rotting smell from too many insects in the pitchers. It's more like a sweet smell, but a nasty sweet smell, if that makes any sense (sickly sweet???). :/ It's really hard to describe, but just getting near my neps gives me a migraine (FOR REAL!!! ).
sad.gif
Has this ever happend to anyone around here? I believe that the smell is coming from my N khasiana (which just opened a ~7 inch aerial pitcher), but I have 3 large Nep plants in that area (coccinea, khasiana, ventrata), so I'm not 100% sure about that. Any idea on how to get rid of this DISGUSTING smell? I was thinking of putting a few incense sticks to burn there, or maybe putting a few dried crickets in the the newly opened pitcher. I'll try anything!!! I'd much rather have the smell of rotting crickets or snails than that YUCKY SWEET smell... :/  Thanks in advance.

Jœl

BTW: I still have that smell in my nose in case you're still wondering...
sad.gif

hrmmm...

That is very interesting... my first instinct was to light some incense, or burn a few matches...

I don't know if you have a misting system, but opening the doors and venting the air might help, as long as you can do it without stressing your plants!
sad.gif

other than that... umm... I don't know...

I wonder what it smells like at Jeffs when one of his carrion flowers blooms?

Very Interesting, perhaps, it is just that your Khasiana is mad at you and wants to drive you away from it?
biggrin.gif
J/k. Hmm, the only sickly sweet smell I have ever come across is a dead animal carcass. The only thing I could think of it maybe the nectar did something, like mixed with the digestive fluid or a stink bug got digested? Or is there a dead animal around your shade house?

haha oxymoron, sickly sweet
tounge.gif

it sometimes happenes with my purpurea too
tounge.gif

The smell isn't a rotting smell, but I can't describe it well.
confused.gif
The closest description that I can come up with is this sickly sweet smell, but I don't know exactly what that's like. The new pitcher hasn't caught anything either, so it's not a stinkbug.
confused.gif
The good thing is that it apparently dissipated over the night, although I can still smell it a little (it's not strong enough to give me a migraine now). Believe it or not though, I'm actually a little afraid of approaching my neps now. I my head was hurting all day yesterday, and I couldn't get that awful smell out of my nose!
sad.gif
I sure hope this doesn't happen again. I'd feel better if someone else out there had this happen to them though...

thanks for the responses

Jœl

Back